New Spells: Claustrophobia and Icicle - Myth-Weavers

Notices

New Spells: Claustrophobia and Icicle

New Spells: Claustrophobia and Icicle

Please critique these spells for balance (especially the icile spell)!

Claustrophobia

2nd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small piece of stone)
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute

Choose a creature you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw or be afflicted with extreme claustrophobia. A claustrophobic creature attempts to leave any enclosed spaces, moving as quickly as it can to a position where it can see the open sky. If the creature is unable to move to such a position, it is afflicted with the frightened condition, and the source of its fear is the ceiling or roof. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you may target an additional creature for each slot level above 2nd.

Icicle
5th-level Transmutation

Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (A small piece of quartz)

A thin blue ray springs from your pointing finger to a creature that you can see within range. It must must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a successful save, the creature's speed is halved, and regardless of the creature’s abilities or magic items, it can’t make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn; both effects last until the end of its next turn. On a failed save, the creature is temporarily turned into a block of ice. While the creature is a block of ice, it gains the petrified condition. Cracks begin to spread through the block of ice. At the end of each of its turns, it takes 4d6 damage. After it takes the damage, it can make a constitution saving throw; if it succeeds, it regains its normal form, the petrification effect ends, and it stops taking damage from this spell.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 5th.

I'm not familiar with your setting, so I'm not quite sure what to compare these to (5e, pathfinder, etc) That said, thanks for your creativity.

I like the feel of Claustrophobia.. but why not extend it to a variable "Phobia" spell with a variable material component reflecting the cause of fear? A vial of water for hydrophobia, a bloodstained dagger for hemophobia, a swatch of black cloth for Achluophobia (fear of the dark). Whatever you have on hand, you can make someone afraid of. Maybe you have to declare one target... and one source of fear (a ceiling, a single creature, a certain water source).

Or what about a "Fight or Flight" spell? In RPGs, fear effects tend to trigger the "flight" response. Why not make them trigger the "fight" response instead, while still being afraid? Instead of irrationally running from a baby spider, the character could become obsessed with disposing of it ASAP. Instead of running out of a dark room, a character is compelled to quell the darkness by finding, or emitting a light source. Why faint at the sight of blood when you can just clean it up?

Not sure how you would do that mechanically, but I think such spells would be more interesting than another fear = run away effect.

These are for D&D 5e. Interesting ideas! Thanks.

Triggering the "Fight" response would qualify, in my book, as using a version of the Suggestion spell.

Agreed, Chaos. Those suggestions would likely lead to some way different spells, and some that already exist. I do appreciate the input, though.

Here is what I ended up going with:

Claustrophobia

2nd-level enchantment
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small piece of stone)

Choose a creature you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw or be afflicted with extreme claustrophobia (a special fear effect). A creature thus afflicted attempts to leave any enclosed spaces, moving as quickly as it can to a position where it can see the open sky. If the creature is unable to move to such a position, it is afflicted with the frightened condition, and the source of its fear is the ceiling or roof. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success. Creatures that naturally live underground and never leave their environment, or creatures that suffer detrimental effects from sunlight, have advantage on the saving throw. Creatures harmed by sunlight or those immune to fear affects are immune to the spell.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you may target an additional creature for each slot level above 2nd.