Just saying hey...HEY!!! - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Just saying hey...HEY!!!

Just saying hey...HEY!!!

Hey,

I've been an off and on, mostly off, DnD3.5 player for a few years now, never real serious, but me and my friends have gotten serious about regular play, hell I even got my wife playing. I have always had some ideas for a campaign/adventure, which who doesn't, so I became the appointed DM for my group 2-4 PC's depending on the night. I joined this site to help me with some quick ideas and quick NPC creation. My main issue is that I want this to be a campaign setting that lasts years but my PC's are chewing through storyline and I'm begining to question the depth of my storyline-my problem not yours. Along with this issue I'm struggling with how to keep my PC's happy and stretch out their leveling/experience. I know that I could just award less XP to take longer to level but that seems like a cop-out and its kinda boring and makes it force-fully long, currently they have just reached Lvl. 4 after about +/-30 hrs of play, thats just the time we've dedicated to turning our normal hang time to DnD so not all DnD grind in those hrs. So I guess what I'm saying is how do I keep PC's happy, keep me from writing a 1000 pages of story literally, and have a campaign setting that lasts and eventually have PC's that one day are in reality years old. If I allow my players to have multipule characters,which is fine, then I can't let my players be at Lvl. 6,9,12 or whatever and re-roll a Lvl. 1 that is involved in the same adventure....or can I? and all my creative jucies are currently dedicated to this current campaign/adventure. I'm not sure if I can maintain 2,3,4 in-depth adventures interesting, meaning actually having a good storyline and not just grinding on goblins and undead for that artifact in the dungeon that no one really knows why there after it or how it got there. Hopefully I explained my situation well enough for you to understand and I will re-post this in the GM section but just looking for some advice/help from you DnD long-timers that like to check-up on and help the new guys.

Thanks for reading,
Chase

Welcome aboard CheeseBaker.
Take a look around the GM workshop, you may find the answers to a lot of your questions are already here, somewhere...

Welcoem to the weave.

Heres an idea. I know you don't like to do quest in which the players don't know why their getting what their getting but if its not for them then they don't have to. Also if you give a few random side quests you can write a few bits of story that go along with those quests that would be grate in times that you really just have no idea what to do next in the main story line.

Oh and depending on what kind of group you have stiking them in a situation in which straight up hac and slash wont get them out of it can be loads of fun. I have an example of such if you want ot hear it.

I think you've got an issue of DM overload. A DM needs to be given proper amounts of time to prepare. Its okay to sometimes need 4 or 5 hours to create the next 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay. A DM should be given a week to prepare between sessions. Thats enough time to roll up a new encounter area, flesh out the world, and give new NPC's life (generally that week is obviously flexible based on what kind of time you need personally). Also, if you're gonna be having multiple adventuring parties, try giving someone else the DM hat instead. They can't expect you to keep multiple IRL games going at full speed. just doesn't work. Even on the weave its important to know your limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandwar View Post
Welcoem to the weave.

Heres an idea. I know you don't like to do quest in which the players don't know why their getting what their getting but if its not for them then they don't have to. Also if you give a few random side quests you can write a few bits of story that go along with those quests that would be grate in times that you really just have no idea what to do next in the main story line.

Oh and depending on what kind of group you have stiking them in a situation in which straight up hac and slash wont get them out of it can be loads of fun. I have an example of such if you want ot hear it.
Yeah I wold love to hear the idea, cause although I try to make the story interesting I'm a young DM and most of my situations are of the hack and slash type

We've had less relevant discussions Xav :3 in all fairness. but, in this case he's right simply to avoid anyone repeating someone else.

Yeah, my wording was horrible.
Instead of "keep it out of the intro board" I should have said "keep it in the GM workshop so we can keep the conversation in one place"
Thread spread isn't cool (just my opinions and suggestion)