Curse of Strahd

Old Jul 1 '19, 5:19pm
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Curse of Strahd

Curse of Strahd - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Edit as I forgot a deadline.
I'll be taking applications until July 16th!

Apologies if I don't get in-depth enough with my introduction here. I imagine there are a lot of fairly seasoned players on this site that already know about Ravenloft, but as I mention below, I feel Curse of Strahd is best served with a sense of mystery about it. I'd like to let people who aren't already accustomed to it go in as blind as I can get away with. I'll be here an in the game forum to answer questions if there's anything that needs to be addressed.

About This Campaign
Curse of Strahd is, in my opinion, a campaign that is best experienced when you go into it fairly blind. That said, there are a lot of specific things that need to line up in order for it to hit all the notes intended. In order to strike that balance of information, I don’t want to give a major campaign summary (though I certainly can’t stop you from looking one up yourself if you feel the need), but I have provided below a number of bullet points that I feel will help you in crafting a character that fits the story and campaign world well, and give you an idea of what to expect in this game.

This is a horror-based campaign. It will be darker than your typical D&D fantasy story, and will best be served with a party of PCs that can take the setting seriously and fit well into a gothic horror setting.

This is a sandbox-ish campaign. You will have a series of goals set out for you, and an explicit end goal to finish the story, but you have the freedom to travel and approach these goals as you wish.

There will be dungeons to crawl and magic weapons to discover here, but these will be climactic points in the story, between which the focus will be on investigating mysteries and interactions between characters and the environment.

Your character will be transported to a strange and unfamiliar world. I am aware that this places some unique constraints on your character’s backstory insofar as goals and interaction with the world around you. All I ask is some faith in me as GM. If you make it clear you want to explore a certain goal or relationship in your backstory, I will work to make it happen.

If you want to incorporate elements into your background that are kept secret from other players at the start, go for it. I encourage this in many games, but in a campaign like this it is especially fitting.

My Expectations of Players

I like to think I’m not a demanding guy. This is what I’d like to see from any players at my table.

-Commit to posting at least once per weekday. We’ll take the weekends off if most of us are tied up.

-Cooperate with your other players to make a good experience for everyone. Your character can be a lone wolf of a ranger, but as a player, make sure you aren’t making the other players work to keep you involved in the story. Interparty conflict is okay, but respect other players’ wishes if they feel like you’re hounding them too much. Just remember, Rule #0 is to not be a jerk.

-Be interested in the story we’re building together. I understand you’re not always going to be able to write pages, but shoot for a few sentences minimum on each post you make. We all know the pain of writing a paragraphs-long text and getting “K” back, so don’t subject your fellow players to that.

Combat

Combat will be handled in a theater-of-the-mind format. Other than that, it will be standard for the 5e experience.

New Players

I wholeheartedly welcome anyone, no matter their level of experience. However, this does come with the warning that Curse of Strahd has been recognized as a campaign that can easily be lethal to characters. I’ve done a bit of tailoring to dial back on that, but the possibility of character death or even a TPK still very much exists. I may pull my punches a bit for you, but not to the point that I’m making it obvious that’s what I’m doing. This is my only caution to you.

Character Creation

PCs begin play at Level 3.

All PCs use a stat array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Take max HP at first level and roll for each level thereafter

Races with a Fly speed and the spell Remove Curse are banned. Any other content officially published by Wizards is free for you to use.

Game Description:

You have passed through the mists. You are now in the vampire's court. Welcome to Barovia.

Last edited by Squeedlyspooch; Jul 1 '19 at 5:51pm..
not a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeedlyspooch View Post
Edit as I forgot a deadline.
I'll be taking applications until July 16th!

Apologies if I don't get in-depth enough with my introduction here. I imagine there are a lot of fairly seasoned players on this site that already know about Ravenloft, but as I mention below, I feel Curse of Strahd is best served with a sense of mystery about it. I'd like to let people who aren't already accustomed to it go in as blind as I can get away with. I'll be here an in the game forum to answer questions if there's anything that needs to be addressed.

About This Campaign
Curse of Strahd is, in my opinion, a campaign that is best experienced when you go into it fairly blind. That said, there are a lot of specific things that need to line up in order for it to hit all the notes intended. In order to strike that balance of information, I donít want to give a major campaign summary (though I certainly canít stop you from looking one up yourself if you feel the need), but I have provided below a number of bullet points that I feel will help you in crafting a character that fits the story and campaign world well, and give you an idea of what to expect in this game.

This is a horror-based campaign. It will be darker than your typical D&D fantasy story, and will best be served with a party of PCs that can take the setting seriously and fit well into a gothic horror setting.

This is a sandbox-ish campaign. You will have a series of goals set out for you, and an explicit end goal to finish the story, but you have the freedom to travel and approach these goals as you wish.

There will be dungeons to crawl and magic weapons to discover here, but these will be climactic points in the story, between which the focus will be on investigating mysteries and interactions between characters and the environment.

Your character will be transported to a strange and unfamiliar world. I am aware that this places some unique constraints on your characterís backstory insofar as goals and interaction with the world around you. All I ask is some faith in me as GM. If you make it clear you want to explore a certain goal or relationship in your backstory, I will work to make it happen.

If you want to incorporate elements into your background that are kept secret from other players at the start, go for it. I encourage this in many games, but in a campaign like this it is especially fitting.

My Expectations of Players

I like to think Iím not a demanding guy. This is what Iíd like to see from any players at my table.

-Commit to posting at least once per weekday. Weíll take the weekends off if most of us are tied up.

-Cooperate with your other players to make a good experience for everyone. Your character can be a lone wolf of a ranger, but as a player, make sure you arenít making the other players work to keep you involved in the story. Interparty conflict is okay, but respect other playersí wishes if they feel like youíre hounding them too much. Just remember, Rule #0 is to not be a jerk.

-Be interested in the story weíre building together. I understand youíre not always going to be able to write pages, but shoot for a few sentences minimum on each post you make. We all know the pain of writing a paragraphs-long text and getting ďKĒ back, so donít subject your fellow players to that.

Combat

Combat will be handled in a theater-of-the-mind format. Other than that, it will be standard for the 5e experience.

New Players

I wholeheartedly welcome anyone, no matter their level of experience. However, this does come with the warning that Curse of Strahd has been recognized as a campaign that can easily be lethal to characters. Iíve done a bit of tailoring to dial back on that, but the possibility of character death or even a TPK still very much exists. I may pull my punches a bit for you, but not to the point that Iím making it obvious thatís what Iím doing. This is my only caution to you.

Character Creation

PCs begin play at Level 3.

All PCs use a stat array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Take max HP at first level and roll for each level thereafter

Races with a Fly speed and the spell Remove Curse are banned. Any other content officially published by Wizards is free for you to use.
Hello my name is daniel i'm also known as worf3k i am not a newbie at 5th edition currently in a game with 2 friends but looking for adventure until we resume again which will be when ever. it is at a pause. i can play bard cleric or warlock if anyone needs them. let me know at @worf3k@gmail.com and put 5th edition in subject line so i know you are serious. i do not dm.

Druid looking for allies to heal

Greetings Squeedlyspooch!

I love DnD, Vampires, horror, and a good bloody struggle like Dark Souls. I've played a good bit of 2e and a few sessions of 5e, but I've never been to Ravenloft once, so I think getting in on this would be great. I'd wanna play a Firbolg Druid if a spot were available for someone who likes to heal and participate in jolly co-operation!

If you scroll up to the top of the ad you'll see a small link that says 'Forum' on the left side which takes you to the game forum, all the stuff to apply is in there.