Thirsty for Vampires? Another Curse of Strahd Game - Myth-Weavers

Thirsty for Vampires? Another Curse of Strahd Game

Old Jul 18 '19, 5:15am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Thirsty for Vampires? Another Curse of Strahd Game

Curse of Strahd: The Mists - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

So! There was a game started just now by @Squeedlyspooch for the 5th Edition horror/nostalgia module, Curse of Strahd. The game received (by my count) eighteen applications, and so seeing this great interest inspired me to create my own version of it. So! A few things first:

About Curse of Strahd
  • Curse of Strahd is a Gothic Horror Dungeons & Dragons story. That means it will be an atmospheric game about the psychology and consequences of terrible things and terrible people, but it will also be a narrative of people with power and agency to affect this situation - Gothic Horror is not Survival Horror or a blood-spattering Slasher flick. The bulk of the game will be investigating and understanding a terrible situation, but there will still be slaying of monsters and plundering of tombs. I will go ahead and say that this is very much a "Dracula" story, and the tone I'm aiming for is a sweet spot that's a bit more badass than the Bram Stoker novel, but a bit more grounded than Castlevania.
  • Just to lay it on the table, the game will contain disturbing themes above and beyond the usual violence and animate corpses of a fantasy adventure, including but not limited to domestic violence, child abuse, body horror, psychological deterioration, cannibalism, and lots of blood. This is an R-rated game by its nature. These things will hopefully be played for horror rather than mere shock value, but please keep this idea of content and tone in mind when applying.
  • Curse of Strahd is also a "sandbox" game with specific goals and objectives, but no pre-determined route to achieve any of them. Player characters are going to need to either be a bit of self-starters, or willing to listen to some good advice when it comes to what needs to be done. Lounging about the tavern harassing barmaids for weeks is right out.

About Me
  • I've been playing tabletop RPGs, particularly D&D and other d20 systems, for almost two decades.
  • I was reasonably active on this site a few years ago, but am only recently coming back to play-by-post after a lengthy hiatus (roll20 does not fill the void).
  • I have not, however, played much or run any D&D 5th Edition. It seems a lot easier than the 3.x I cut my teeth on, but please, bear with me on the specifics of rules.

About You
  • No experience required! I'm new to 5e so I certainly won't judge anyone else.
  • As mentioned above, it's a game about horror and serious topics. Please keep the tone in mind, and treat said topics with respect. We are all, approximately, adults here.
  • I will be posting once per weekday until the game is complete. Please expect to do the same thing - PbPs are notorious for grinding to a halt early, and I fully plan to shove this one along with a cattle prod to make sure we all get the full game experience, even if that means NPCing party members. If you are accepted, please post once per day, or give me a heads up if there's any reason why you can't, and I promise to do the same.

How to Sign Up

There's a forum link at the top of this thread. Post character sheets in the subforum named "Character Applications" in their own threads.

When We'll Start

Assuming I've received at least four applications, the campaign will begin on Thursday, August 1, i.e. two weeks from today Eastern Time (I'm actually on Central Time but I'm not staying up till midnight).

Game Description:

Curse of Strahd

Beyond the Mists lies a cursed realm, tormented for eternity by the shadow of a monster. Barovia is a land of untold dread, inescapable save for the will of its iron-fisted lord. Forever will he prey on his people, and forever will they live in fear.

So it was, so it is, so it shall be...unless Chance and Fate intertwine to bring something new.

I've always wanted to push my luck with this AP. I'll see what I can get together.

I would love playing it.
I've never played Curse of Strahd but it seems like a really cool story.
My favorite and most played system is Pathfinder but I do enjoy 5e and it has some really unique character ideas that I'd love to try out.
I'm also facing the dificulties of finding a gaming spot and since posting once/day is what I was actually looking for, the game sounded perfect.

Fun -- I would love to ride this train with you. Will definitely be putting in an app for this.

Come to think of it, trains would really enhance the Dracula homage...but the setting being mostly stuck in the dark ages is a little more iconic.

I chose this recruiting thread title very deliberately.

Current plan is to select players about a week from now. I'll also consider starting early (but no earlier than this Sunday) if apps peter out, so if you're interested, please feel free to go make a thread in the application forum.