Supernal - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Supernal

Old Jul 11 '19, 5:14am
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Supernal

Supernal - Forum
Mage

In Mage the Ascension, you play a normal person who can use and cast spells. Mage the Ascension is often a game of magic vs morality. You were a sleeper and awakened your magick.

The Supernal Chronicle is a weird Tradition chronicle, focusing on exploring mysteries, dealing with the strangeness of Magick, Chantries intrigue and the occasional obstacles in your path to discover the truth.

The Tradition main goal is for all humanity to reach ascension. Global Ascension won't be our main goal or objective but try to keep it in mind, when making your character.

Mage characters are proactive, hooks will be given but if your character is the kind that needs constant guidance, you might need to revise your concept.

Our chronicle begins in Las Vegas, where your masters part of the same cabal are concerned with a stolen wonder from a young apprentice. Retrieving the wonder is your main goal.

Las Vegas will be your main base of operation, but mages aren't limited by location and there will be plenty of places to explore on Earth and Otherworlds.

Metaplot essentials: (Everything else would be as assumed by M20 default)

-The old council's stronghold collapsed in Horizon.
-The New Horizon Council has taken over, taking the traditions into the new Millenium.

The Nine traditions, some have taken new names to reflect their changes in attitude (see Mage 20, p. 145-146 for more details on these metaplot changes). This metaplot change just makes the Traditions more open in general to more concepts.

Character Creation

Follow the guidelines in M20 for creating your Tradition Mage. You can use merits, flaws, archetypes from the sources below.

Sources available:

Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition
How do you do that? (M20 edition)
Book of Secrets (M20 Edition)
Gods & Monsters (M20 Edition)

Game Description:

Supernal is a mage the ascension 20th-anniversary chronicle.

Last edited by All; Jul 11 '19 at 5:15am..
Is there an ability for sleight of hand? Couldn't find one neither in primary abilities nor in secondary...

Yes you are correct about the Eight limbs.

Sleight of Hands would just make it a secondary skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarin View Post

Let me check my intuition:
- Picking a pocket by reaching into my own would be correspondence and matter?
- A voodoo puppet would be correspondence and life?
- teleportation seems to be just correspondence?
- would it be possible to set e.g. a book in a library on fire by igniting a book at hand with only correspondence? Note that I mean non-magical ignition, magical would probably add forces to the equation.
- Combining correspondence and time should allow syncing two events, so that e.g. the two detonators of a bomb get defused in exactly the same instant?
Honestly would recommend to consider taking a few dots in Mentor, a mentor is a good background for new players and help you learn about the world constantly while taking advantage of a mage with more experience.

But anyway...it all depends on your focus and what your character believes in. I know that I'm repeating myself but it is something people have a hard time getting and understanding, that not all effects are applicable to your character depending on your focus:

-Going to assume, you mean stealing from someone pocket for the first one, at minimum correspondence 2 and matter 2, as you need to tether to the small object. Transposing things can go as high as Correspondence 5 tho.
-Puppetry as in controlling someone is Mind 4 at minimum.
-Yes but teleporting that way is always vulgar. Usually, most mages prefer to make it coincidental which involves using other spheres.
-Not sure what you mean for the setting the book on fire part.
-Time 4 and Entropy 3, if you want both bombs to "hang".

I want to point out that there are infinite numbers of ways to accomplish things with magickal feats and the statement above should only be taken as examples. An example would be to force a spirit to possess someone (which would use spirit instead of Mind).

Yeah, mentor 3 or 4 is on my radar.

And yes, I still have a hard time getting to the belief and focus. I'll probably write up some prose about his past, how the awakening happened and the relatively short period thereafter. I hope that'll help me formulating a belief. I still hope to get some help regarding a focus when the belief is clear.

Quote:
By adding Life or Matter to Rank 2 Correspondence, the mage can grasp small items or organisms (housecat-sized or smaller) and then pull them through tiny holes in space
Doesn't explicitly say it has to be matter or life 2, but you'll know better. Can I derive that affecting things usually needs a sphere score of two and that is valid also for sphere combinations?

With the voodoo example I meant hurting someone by pinching the puppet (that corresponds to that person's body).

Regarding the book, that was meant similarly to the voodoo example. I.e. a "proxy" book that corresponds to a book in a library - can correspondence magick burn the real one when burning the proxy?

The bomb example wasn't about two bombs and discharging both with magick. What I meant was just two detonators as a means to guarantee the bomb to blow up (for difficulty to discharge both at the exact same time) and time magick to really get the actions synced.

Am I making sense?

eldarin: you're focusing on the details, and not the more important issue of character concept and goals. Not the character's goals, but your goals for the character, or what YOU want your character to do with magic.

Decide that, let us know, and we can help you build a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post
eldarin: you're focusing on the details, and not the more important issue of character concept and goals. Not the character's goals, but your goals for the character, or what YOU want your character to do with magic.

Yes I am going to make up my mind and write something up. In parallel I am trying to check/build some intuition.

1 to 5 for a sphere are "levels" of the sphere. At the very basic level 1 is only information gathering. Level 5 is the more powerful effect. Magick is, of course, kind of weird with the most powerful effects. You can read the basic level descriptions of spheres early on in the spheres chapter.

Matter 2 for material objects, Life 4 for a cat or a person etc...usually the main issue that you would run into with correspondence is that unlike other spheres, you must have match the same amount of dot to mix it with other spheres. So if you want to use a life 4 effect with it, you need to have correspondence 4.

You mean hurting someone at a distance? Correspondence + Life, but humans count as a complex organism so Life 4 is necessary meaning Correspondence 4 too.

To clarify correspondence doesn't cause harm in any way, it always needs to be combined with another sphere.

If both books share the same "fate" by being proxy, it involves Entropy.

If it is just timing, Time 1. Any direct time manipulation is Time 3 at minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post

I guess I decided to go with It’s All Good – Have Faith! as paradigm, describing the Avatar as his woken subconsciousness. He is always eager to something new, as per the questing essence - always an open mind.

Still figuring out practices and the rest. How would I employ different practices, per sphere, level, per whatever I see fit?
I do need exactly seven instruments, correct? Not sure yet how to get there, still considering a huge spread of level one spheres and finding it hard to describe perception in terms of clothing, social control, etc. I see mainly meditation/concentration, although I do see differences in how the enhanced perception takes place. I suppose martial arts will get to be instruments (actually practice?) as soon as I learn to influence the world not merely perceive it.

As per goals, it's clearly to increase my understanding of the world and how my mind interacts with it. Identify minds that are equally skilled and provide them training. Protect the world from minds that employ their skills to do malicious and malefic work.

Edit: Writing it down and hit submit made me realize that what I describe has nothing to do with the show magician I was heading to before. Will adjust one end or the other.

I've just recently gotten the books. I'm reading through them now in hopes of coming up with a character concept.