So...my inspiration stops at the end of char gen... - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

So...my inspiration stops at the end of char gen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorra View Post
Well, obviously they need to forge a new moon from the purest untouched Soul-silver on the Anvil of Eternity, using the Starhammer while holding it with Inescapable Tongs and then quenching it in the blood of the Night Dragon. And they better get that done fast, because the Machines are building their own Clockwork Moon to usher forth the Age With No Heroes, where men and women will be reduced to living lives that know neither the rush of glory nor the bitter taste of defeat. Quickly, sound forth the Horn of High Acclaim, so that those who still stand with the Wolf Goddess know that all is not lost! Oh, the Horn has been lost in the Dark Forest, where harpies prey on the bones of the righteous? Well, that sounds like a good place to start, then.
Sounds like a plan to me!

I think this is a very common problem in pbp games in general. I've seen a lot of games started with amazing set-ups and detailed world building, only to fizzle after the introductory scene, simply because the GM wasn't inspired by anything post-introduction.

My suggestion: Start working on your final epic scene that embodies the culmination of your adventure which, ideally, is one that you look forward to running as well. Then work yourself back from that, focusing on a few key scenarios that will get the players there, one way or the other. Facing of against the villainous mastermind is the most standard option, but you can also have the players make a difficult choice about the fate of the world (save the old broken one, or bring forth a new age) or have them re-build civilization. Without a basic idea on how the adventure should end, though, it will be difficult for people to help you craft a beginning, IMHO.

For what it's worth: this is why I don't put this kind of time and energy into a game before it has begun. If I'm the GM, I start with a set-up, not a story. If I wanted to write a story, I'd write a story. But if I want to play a game and I'm the GM, I'm there for the players and their story, not my own. I create a set-up, add some hooks, and then just let the PCs run wild with a choose-your-own-adventure mentality. The less I plan, the better off things tend to go.