Shows that shouldn't have ended - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Shows that shouldn't have ended

Sleeping in the Light was always the intended finale' and was filmed as such (thus having Ivanova and no Lockley). But before it aired, the offer was made by SciFi to make season 5, so Deconstruction was made in a huge hurry.

There are scraps and snippets from season 5 episodes that are well written. Bester and Girabaldi's conversation/confrontation, G'Kar's dealing with his worshipers, "You were wondering what my Pleasure Threshold is? I just found out I don't have one."

Everything with G'Kar is the best.

Can't believe I forgot this one:
Doctor Who.
Colin Baker deserved a better ending (which he got through Big Finish Productions)
The show in general deserved a better ending.

Oh come on! That was their prestige show! The one that proved they were doing actual science fiction. And it's cancelled?

*sigh*

That was the one giving me a small shred of hope for the network...

As I understand it, the production company wasn't happy with the way the rights were structured by SyFy. Whatever the case, it's just another example of how SyFy is where intelligent SciFi goes to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
Can't believe I forgot this one:
Doctor Who.
Colin Baker deserved a better ending (which he got through Big Finish Productions)
The show in general deserved a better ending.
I’m obviously going to agree, although it is a rare example of good winning out in the end. (We are now really close to the point where the new series will have been around for longer than the wilderness years. For some reason that feels to me like that will be a moment to break out the champagne and watch the first episode of An Unearthly Child and Rose back-to-back.)

But what’s really frustrating for me about the cancellation is how good the show started to get once Cartmel was in charge.

Also, it’s such a shame that Buffy the Vampire Slayer ended after season three. Can you imagine how good it could have been if it had gone on for, say, four more seasons?

()

Cartmel?

Yeah, Buffy, if it had continued past the perfect ending of season 3 might have given us story lines like "Let's neuter Spike, so he can't harm humans. Then make him even more of an Angel clone by returning his soul." or "Buffy feels inadequate or like she's failing, so she punishes herself by letting Spike have raunchy sex with her." Or worst of all, "Willow is a witch and going to college, so let's make her become a lesbian, just because that's what happens to girls in college who are into goofy stuff like witchcraft." They'd have run the show into the ground and then started digging.

I actually really liked that season. Spike getting his soul back for love, not getting love and in the end doing a heroic sacrifice was a really good and distinct thing to do. And the whole lesbian turnover was actually one of the very few times such a thing was done in fiction that I did not find to be jarring or horribly breaking the character. Even the stuff with soldier boy was decent enough if not for the fact the actor was just wishi-washy in appearance.

To me, one of the major players was the High School. Unless you are one of the rare people that really enjoys high school, it is an era of being oppressed, stomped down, and generally subjected to ritualized hazing endorsed and enforced by the State. Having a source of nightmares and demons and whatnot directly under the school not only makes perfect sense, but they build on each other, somehow making both worse. You aren't free. You cannot get away, you cannot quit, you cannot get out of the game. You are required to endure it and to prove your loyalty by regurgitating acceptable answers to stock questions. You are provided just enough information and education to be a minimally functioning pawn of the State, but any form of dissension to the indoctrination and brainwashing is "heavily discouraged," even outright mocked and used as a tool for humiliation by fellow "students" and even instructors. Of the characters, Cordelia was the only one who seemed to enjoy the environment, and that was because she was always on top of the social hierarchy pyramid.

College is about being freed from that, becoming and being treated like an adult, being responsible for your own actions and the consequences for the first time. It is open and makes the world available. That inherently diminished the terror and danger over the last 4 years by taking away one of the key factors--the oppressive atmosphere.