Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Dresden Files Accelerated Edition

Dresden Files Accelerated Edition

So the preview for DAE came out for Fate Core backers today. I've been reading it through and I have to say, it looks pretty awesome. Honestly, I think it might actually get me around a lot of the fatigue I was feeling for Dresden last time I started building a Dresden game.

Has anyone else been reading it over? Thoughts so far?

I didn't even know this was a thing! I'm building a Dresden game right now. I'll have to keep an eye on this, though unfortunately I'm not a backer so I'll have to wait in the back of the line. Sure would be nice to streamline magic a bit, as the game I'm starting up has all casters and it will be quite a handful to keep everyone's magical effects straight I'm sure.

Yeah, it would've totally streamlined your all Wizard game pretty nicely. Like, instead of templates and powers you /have/ to buy, DAE has Mantles which immediately give you all the core powers and conditions you need to fulfill that role and then the refresh you spend is all about making you an unique example. Its pretty nifty.

I got the message about it because of the fate core backing I did. Chee, how well does it seem to do, and how close to FAE is it? I kind of originally passed on the initial run of FAE due to dropping below my preferred crunch levels, but at the same time I'd be interested in a slightly more streamlined version, or slapping together a hybrid version if I go bonkers.

I've only skimmed a bit of it so far, but it looks interesting. Not real familiar with FAE since I tend to agree with you about it dropping below my preferred level of crunch. Though lately my opinion of that has been changing a bit, so I might want to give it another look anyhow.

I find it to be a mid point between the uberstreamlined FAE and the almost overcrunchiness of DFRPG. So FAE, but with peanuts and rice, for that crunchy feel. Like there are way more stress boxes than in FAE, but more interplay than in DFRPG. They also changed consequences and how stress works, along with other bits.

Like, one of the FAE bits they went with was Approaches instead of Skills. So instead of a list of 25(ish) skills, you have 6 Approaches (Flavored for Dresden) which everyone has, but at different ranks. Then you have stunts that boost those, as you might well except.

There is this new thing called Scale, which I feel was dearly needed in Fate in general. The Scale here runs Mundane -> Supernatural -> Otherworldly -> Legendary -> Godlike. There higher something is on the scale, the more bonuses they get when opposing something lower down the ladder. So even though Average Joe and Vampire have Haste at +2, the two are operating on two totally different level. Vampire is going to catch you, Joe. And you don't try to out magic Mab in Winter. Like, period.

If you want specifics, I can dig them up and lay them out.

Huh, so it's a really big switch. I'd be interested in testing it out sometime, if anyone ever decided to take the rules for a spin. If it's not too much of a bother Chee, I know I would love to read more. It sounds pretty crazy, but I'm incredibly curious about what they've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee View Post
Like, one of the FAE bits they went with was Approaches instead of Skills.
Blaugh. I mean, I'm not opposed to the skill cutdown. Dresden kind of had that problem that I felt was fixed up a bit in Fate Core, where honestly those five skills at +1 didn't really matter because against anybody who did matter, they'd be in the 3-5 range with that skill and you're going to have to be dipping into aspects and stunts just to even out. Approaches I didn't care for at all, if only because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee View Post
There is this new thing called Scale, which I feel was dearly needed in Fate in general. The Scale here runs Mundane -> Supernatural -> Otherworldly -> Legendary -> Godlike.
This, however, I really like, and something i think is a very good thing. I'll have to look into how they do spellcasting, and it's possible i might be able to slap the Atomic Robo RPG modes onto how the skills work.

This feels weird. My hesitance toward Fate is how soft and liquid the rules sometimes feel. Yet for everyone saying Accelerated has less crunch, your descriptions even have me optimistic and curious.