GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

The 3.5 Fighter Class

Yeah, especially given that certain categories of caster would have no problem with this - including any who took Eschew Materials. You'd also have to ban that feat, or no matter how balancing this change is it could be bypassed with a simple one-feat "tax". Though, I think that there are probably enough no-component spells that it wouldn't stop casters from being casters anyway (certainly if you include things like Fly and Grease which have trivially easy components to get hold of).

The problem, after all, isn't just Wizards being too powerful - it's Fighters being too limited. Even if you nerf Wizards, Sorcerers, etc, Fighters still look poor compared with Warlocks, martial adepts, meldshapers, Binders, etc.

I think for my tabletop game I'm going to use this and some other things I've been tinkering with. I'll report back.

A fighter can pick up a weapon and most likely hit his target, be it ranged or melee... that's their job. they get a feat every couple levels that can be used on a various number of fighting abilities and the such. theirs variants to make them feel a bit like other classes if wanted, but their man role is to draw their weapon and attack. personally I don't think their needs to be much more than that.

in a high magic campaign, he will have magic items to boost his fighting abilities
in a no magic campaign, he will still be good to go with fighting.

edit: just about any class compared to a martial adept or similar encounter based class, yeah the book creators went a bit overboard with some of those classes as to how much they can do compared to the perday ability using classes, so theirs always that. but their are the typical phbk abilities like disarm and trip that can be used non stop all day long.

Sure, he can draw his weapon and attack, but he can't always hit. His AB should be good enough that he can hit a lot, but it's no better than any other full-BAB class' (and indeed lower-BAB classes can often do better due to things like buff spells). And if he does hit, so what? He also has to deal meaningful damage. This also does not take into account the plethora of ways in which his hitting can be made nigh impossible (Invisibility, Flight, Incorporeality, etc).

I think part of the struggle is trying to make each player feel like their character is important. In the settings like LotR we draw from for these, powerful magic users like Gandalf are playing a whole different game at times, and are rare and all that, and are literature - so no one's worried about balance.

Well, LotR is a much more low-magic setting. I don't think Gandalf even actually did any magic in The Hobbit, he just had decent Bluff and Move Silently scores and a moderately high Intelligence.

Actually he explicitly used magic to imitate voices, create a light and murder the goblin king.

improved crit, two weapon fighting, weapon specialization, trip, disarm... and I'm not even level 10 yet. idk, I like fighters, one of my top 3 classes, especially if they have some good magic items and in a party that buffs and flanks... intimidate, helpful "hey attack me" "sure, no problem"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ_Purple View Post
Actually he explicitly used magic to imitate voices, create a light and murder the goblin king.
Explicitly? I don't remember that. Even if so, well, we're talking mostly L0-1 spells here. Maybe the firework pinecones are on a par with Pyrotechnics, whatever. There was that "Gandalf is a L5 Wizard" thing which I believe may have been the genesis of E6; it's not that simple, because Gandalf simply wasn't a D&D Wizard, but the point is makes is a fair one. LotR was a very low-magic setting, and Fighters with mostly mundane gear (or +1 goblinbane swords, or whatever) work just fine in a world where casters are few and far between and don't know spells of L3 or above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami1768 View Post
improved crit, two weapon fighting, weapon specialization, trip, disarm... and I'm not even level 10 yet. idk, I like fighters, one of my top 3 classes, especially if they have some good magic items and in a party that buffs and flanks... intimidate, helpful "hey attack me" "sure, no problem"
The thing is, most of those feats aren't even very good - and anyway, they don't solve any of the Fighter's problems. If you take trip and disarm you at least have some options, but by L10 you're increasingly coming up against big, untrippable monsters with natural weapons who can't therefore be disarmed - and you still don't have any counter to Invisibility, Fly, Incorporeality, Mirror Image, etc.

This is one of the things that intrigues me about E6 games. By putting a hard cap on how powerful casters are, but allowing one to continue to accumulate feats, it might change things up a little here.

Note: my familiarity with 3.5, specifically, is limited. More broadly across editions, though, I think D&D/Pathfinder/Clones suffers here from being the product of sometimes kludgy development from a starting-point where first-level magic-users were extremely weak, so that fighters shined at the beginning.