Pathfinder 2nd Edition is coming to Playtest! - Page 5 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition is coming to Playtest!

Bounded Accuracy, personally, annoys the heck out of me. Mostly because it keeps number progression on rails, makes taking most feats in 5e worthless, and makes it so that more attacks win out over quality in every case. Minionmancers can put 5e on easy mode because the sheer number of attacks will actually kill higher level enemies because their AC is so low. I'd prefer to keep it out of PF.

I'm a bit meh about the shield thing as it sounds like we have a completely reworked system and sword and board STILL isn't viable, because you're giving up an action for a minor AC boost and a teeny bit of damage reduction against one attack (and reducing the damage means you just gave up an AoO or whatever other reaction you might have had).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
I'm a bit meh about the shield thing as it sounds like we have a completely reworked system and sword and board STILL isn't viable, because you're giving up an action for a minor AC boost and a teeny bit of damage reduction against one attack (and reducing the damage means you just gave up an AoO or whatever other reaction you might have had).
It'll depend on what you can do with that extra reaction. If it means you can do some parry & riposte shenanigans, it might actually end up being pretty good. If all it means is the occasional DR boost or slide to the right, it's really not worth it. Especially since it seems that shields don't give any bonuses for carrying them, only for using an action to ready them. Depending on whether or not they nix 1.5x Str-to-damage like they did in Starfinder, that could end up being a death knell for shields. Again.

The way they said it in the blog sure sounds like the only special reaction you get from activating your shield is the damage reduction thing. Though some posters are speculating it might work against spells, which wouldn't suck, that's total speculation at this point. And if you did have some nifty parry/riposte ability (assuming it doesn't somehow depend on a shield), you couldn't use it and the shield's damage reduction together, making using the shield an even worse choice. I just ask one thing of PF2. Even if you do stick it to sword and board users again, at least, for the love of all that is holy don't make the only viable shield build be dual wielding shields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
The way they said it in the blog sure sounds like the only special reaction you get from activating your shield is the damage reduction thing. (...)

And if you did have some nifty parry/riposte ability (assuming it doesn't somehow depend on a shield), you couldn't use it and the shield's damage reduction together, making using the shield an even worse choice.
That...would be genuinely a horrible thing that would make me hate shields.

As for the second thing, are you sure? The Reddit post states readying the shield gives an extra reaction. I'm really hoping that that indicates that there are more special shield-only or shield-recommended reactions that don't suck, even if they're Fighter-only. Giving +2 AC to an adjacent ally sucks. Giving yourself DR 2 against one attack sucks. Negating one attack and counting with a shield bash? Not bad, especially if you can tack on rider effects.

I'm frequently disappointed by how shields get used in RPGs, where it's just a hunk of wood that dangles at your side for a passive bonus. Or, worse, the way they try to enhance them is "well now it's also a bad weapon".

I mean, my hopes aren't high, but I'm trying to not be too pessimistic nowadays.

I used to play Pathfinder a lot, but I've shifted to more niche systems. Still, I think there are three main factors, in my opinion, that make Pathfinder pretty popular, and none of them have much to do with the game rules:

1. The free (and well-organized) SRD.
2. The adventure paths, which are much better than most of the D&D 3-3.5e adventures/modules I've read.
3. The art, which (again) is better than that what I could find in 3/3.5 e books, in my humble opinion.

By far, 2 is the most important, judging (also) by the popularity of APs here in Myth-Weavers.

I think that as long as Paizo keeps making adventure paths that are better than what other companies/systems offer, Pathfinder's going to remain popular, regardless of the changes to the system.

If there not going to have a 1st Party Psionics and Path of War/Tome of Battle like system, preferably in Core as a none variant rule that's just an assumed part of the game, I'm not interested.

What I want to know is are they going to scrap the more interesting rules for doing stuff at large scales for nations and stuff?

Paizo has already published more materials than any playgroup will ever use. If the changes are good, bad or both; groups can easily decided to stick with the original rules. The 3rd party publishers are going to see dollars since they will continue to support the original rules.

I'm more concerned about Society play. As someone that GMs and plays in society, it will become a mess in August 2019. Two entirely different rule sets being used within the same play group will cause issues. Any new people will be so confused. "Sorry your character will not work for this table because it is a different edition. "

I would just assume that society play would shift entirely to PF2? Is that assumption wrong?

I think that @Vladim 's point #2 is spot on. Maybe I'm just not familiar with a lot of modules out there, but as someone who relies heavily on pre-made adventures, the Paizo ones are a cut above other stuff that I've found, at least in ease-of-use.