Sail the Planes in the Cytherian Star

Old Jan 12 '18, 5:29am
Elder Dragon

Sail the Planes in the Cytherian Star

Tales of the Planeship Cytherian Star - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

The variety of strange trade goods around the Great Wheel is staggering and confusing. You can buy slaves and curses. You can buy body parts of dead gods. You can buy REAL ESTATE on dead gods. You can buy souls and divine favors. Captain Artemis and his crew sail across the planes, looking for the next good source for their precious cargo. Captain Artemis trades in emotions.

The emotion trade is highly profitable in the planes. There are many markets for rare mental states. Fiends are always hunting for a deal to fuel their own machinations. Desperation in Baator, Cold Fury in The Abyss, and Hopelessness in Carceri. They all sell for high prices, if one can navigate the delicate negotiations involved. Far safer are the positive emotions. The markets of Elysium are always on the hunt for pure, unadulterated Joy. In Celestia and Arcadia, there are markets that will pay very well for Righteousness, if you can find some. If you can't get the rare and pure stuff, The Society of Sensation buys everything, and sometimes you can sell Understanding and Focus to the servants of gods of magic and the mind.

But, you might ask, how does one transport these emotions? Or, find them? Well, with the right gem and a skilled wizard, you can create a stone which will hold someone's experiences, but it's an expensive receptacle, so it doesn't make sense to use it for the emotional highs and lows that are commonplace. That's why anyone who's in the business has some strategy for finding the greatest extremes. Captain Artemis's strategy is kinder than most. He and his crew travel from plane to plane and from world to world, hunting circumstances like revolutions, unlikely romances, great injustices, and holy wars. Any circumstance which is likely to yield someone experiencing particularly intense frames of mind. In the near future, of course. Time is money.

When they find a source, they wait until the very moment of greatest elation or lowest dejection, and tap the source's head with the prepared thought gems. Voila! Another financial gain for the crew!

The Cytherian Star

Speaking of crew; Captain Artemis is hiring after his last crew retired! He needs
  • A fledgeling navigator, to learn how to direct the Cytherian Star through the planes
  • a pilot, to handle the ship through sea, air, and astral thought
  • a reader, to know the marks with the greatest emotional purity and extremes
  • and, a negotiator who can literally sell Misery in Hell

Of course, the work can be dangerous, so all applicants need to be able to look after themselves. Team players only. Keep in mind that the crew end up in ethically sticky situations often. Anyone who cannot handle that need not apply. We try not to do extensive damage, but let's just say that we never intend to go back to the same source.

The Cytherian Star is the ship of Captain Artemis Vitra. Vitra owns a business, which is based out of the plane of Arborea, but which commonly operates in Sigil, Dis, Zelatar, and Celestia. Join up now! Each member of the crew gets equal share of the profits, and the Captain only gets a double share (all evaluated after possible repairs to the ship). See incredible vistas and meet unlikely contacts.

Character RequirementsI want four characters for this adventure. I'm hoping for characters who can actually grow and change and not be one-dimensional. The setting is Planescape for the base of operations and the sale of goods, and as such, philosophy, morals, and ethics are very important. You must have a clearly-defined ideology. If that changes during play, so much the better! But, coming into it, you need to actually have thoughts about the world around you.

You may submit a character for any one of the four openings on the ship. You do not need to incorporate the skillset of your role into the build of your character. The basics of it will be given to you. You don't even really need a build to begin with.

I would like detailed characters, with their own active motives. If you're just following around being passive, then you're just a pain to play with.

Every character should have a reason for joining the Cytherian Star. Be aware that the ship sails out of Arborea,
which is a plane of chaos and good. Not heavily for either, but if you make a lawful-evil fiend-pact half-orc warlock, you might not like the reactions you get from the locals. Really, I just won't select your character for the game.

You need to play nice with your party. No stealing, no player-killing. It's not okay. You can play an alignment and not be a murderhobo. That said, Captain Artemis is Chaotic-Good. He will base his hiring decisions on how well he thinks you will work as part of the crew.

Rules RequirementsI am going to be following the PHB+1 criterion. I have no experience whatsoever with the Unearthed Arcana materials. I have Volo's and I have Xanathar's. I can work with you to make a race if there's something you particularly want to play. I cannot guarantee that it will fit with the actual class that you have in mind.
I will not design things for the sake of your optimization.

Characters will not roll ability scores. You may select the elite array or use 27-point-buy as is described in the PHB.

Max HP at level 1, constant HP for every level beyond that, as indicated in your class.

Characters will start with the equipment that is described ala class and background. You may sell any portion of it if you wish, for half-price, and buy whatever else you want that you can afford.

Be aware that I take something of an old-school approach to magic in the planes (although the campaign will be happening in a bunch of prime material worlds as well). Teleportation doesn't function without access to the astral plane!
You cannot go ethereal in any of the outer planes. Conjuring spells may yield things you didn't actually want. This may affect how you decide to create your character.

All applications go HERE

Your application should include:
Character Name
Alignment
An explanation for how you view your character to be of that alignment
Ideology
Background
A more detailed Personality/Bond/Flaw than the ones offered in the books.
A description of how you got your class and equipment
Some relationships to NPCs, at least one who's a friend and at least one who's a rival/enemy.

Game Description:

The variety of strange trade goods around the Great Wheel is staggering and confusing. You can buy slaves and curses. You can buy body parts of dead gods. You can buy REAL ESTATE on dead gods. You can buy souls and divine favors. Captain Artemis and his crew sail across the planes, looking for the next good source for their precious cargo. Captain Artemis trades in emotions.

Last edited by LumenPlacidum; Jan 12 '18 at 5:36pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumenPlacidum View Post
Characters will not roll ability scores. You may select the elite array or use 27-point-buy as is described in the PHB.

What's an elite array? just the standard array in the PHB (which is equal to 27-point buy) or something else?

I have a couple questions regarding emotion stones. I thought it relevant in the character's motivation to join/continue with the expedition.

1. How are they used? Is it something like: someone holding the stone may relive the experience any number of times, but if the stone is used in a major task, it may be consumed or destroyed?

2. Do the people from whom the memory is harvested forget the experience, remember the experience, or can the harvester choose either at the time of harvesting?

Wow. Going right for the details. For #1 that is almost exactly right. There is some deterioration, but if all someone wants to do is feel the emotion, the stone has many thousands of uses.

For #2, I am going to say that the stone does not remove the emotion from the original creator of it.