Video Games Like DND - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Video Games Like DND

I have read many, many times that Crimson Shroud on the 3DS is supposed to play a lot like a D&D game. The characters resemble unmoving miniatures on purpose, and there seem to be visible dice rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreytari View Post
Sword Coast Legends has a DM mode
Sword Coast Legends is nothing like Neverwinter Nights (either) in that the DM has very limited ability for creating encounters. The game itself is kind of based on 5e but it also uses cool downs and tiered abilities. If you're looking for a tailored adventure, it is possible to an extent. You have little control over the maps but you can place creatures and encounters. It is nice for impromptu dungeon runs and you don't even need a DM. Still it feels more like Diabolo than D&D. It's a good game though if you want to fight things. I haven't played it lately so I don't know if the servers are still up. The nice thing about Sword Coast Legends is how easy it is to host a game, and there's tons of modules to download. all user created content.

But it won't feel like D&D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAndrewJ View Post
I have read many, many times that Crimson Shroud on the 3DS is supposed to play a lot like a D&D game. The characters resemble unmoving miniatures on purpose, and there seem to be visible dice rolls.
I've played this and can confirm. You even use the touch screen to shake and roll the dice. The characters are indeed miniatures who move around the dungeon, itself looking like a really good tabletop map, and the 'cutscenes' are text dialogue while the miniatures are dramatically displayed around the map and camera angles are used to make it lifelike. It's super, super charming.

Card Hunter is an interesting game as well. It plays more like one of those classic dungeon crawling board games than D&D though. Especially HeroQuest.

I'd recommend Darklands for consideration, though it's very likely that it's not what a lot of people would be looking for. The reason I recommend it is because it's exactly what a lot of other people are looking for. The chargen is still one of my favorites, the openness of the world (while still having a main storyline) managed to work well without being overwhelming or full of empty space, the folklore and medieval religious belief elements are well-researched and engaging, and the party and equipment management aren't annoying.

The game was made by Microprose in 1992, so expect pixelated graphics and isomorphic perspective; but the scripted environment interactions (which inspired Pillars of Eternity to use a similar approach) are still beautiful.

Champions: Return to arms had a structure that was familiar to D&D
In fact I have plans to make a game that is similar to it...

Divinity: Original Sin is a lot of fun. I thought it felt a lot like D&D. It's an isometric style similar to Baldurs Gate. It gives you interactive combat skills, and it's a game you can play with another player too. I've never played it multiplayer, but I did sink a ton of hours into it. It's a great game!

The indie game developer SpiderWeb Software creates a lot of games that also feel like D&D to me. Their Exile series was my introduction to RPG gaming, back before they re-released it as the Avernum series. Absolutely fantastic storytelling, if you enjoy reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWest View Post
For D&D I think most people equate it with swords and magic, but any discussion is welcome
thx
Those of us who have seen the game from its infancy (i.e., the 1970s) know that D&D is more than just "swords and magic" but any kind of fantasy really. S3 comes to mind.

There's also this little gem.

Those modules successfully translated science fiction into the fantasy milleu.

And this

was D&D set in 19th century Earth.