Newbie All Around - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Newbie All Around

Newbie All Around

So, I'm Megus. I'm not new to role play, but I'm definitely new to tabletop games. I've wanted to play DnD for a good while now, but I don't really know how. I'm hoping to gather some time to start teaching myself so that I can join a game on this site. Either way, I'm looking forward to making a friend or two (hopefully) on this site.

EDIT: also, if anyone knows of any games that are accepting players and won't trample over a beginner, I'm all ears.

Hi there and welcome. A couple things to make your day easier. Please make sure to read the New to PBP thread, this SHOULD answer several questions about how games are run here.

The way you get into games is by applying to them. You can do so in the Games and Ads forum. There are several different editions of D&D being played on this site. 3.5, 5E and Pathfinder (a D&D clone) are most popular. 5E is an easier ruleset. The Adventurer's League Games are always looking for players.

Also check out the Game Planning forum. This is where people will post ideas for games to see if there is interest. Sometimes, you will find a group of new people who don't know how to play a certain system there, and a GM will step in and agree to run for them. Or a GM will post a game specifically for beginners.

As for how to play, I guess the first thing you will need to decide is play what? There are a number of systems out there, in several different genres. Some of them have free or inexpensive rulesets you can find online so you can read about them and figure out what you want to play. Find a game your interested in, and you will find a group of people who can help you along to building a character.

Please feel free to ask questions. We are, for the most part, a friendly bunch.

I second the Adventurers League. We are always willing to help new players out, and there are lots of options for play from Gothic to dungeon crawl to mystery to dinosaur racing. We do it all!