Downloading Sheets - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Downloading Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
If it requires an internet connection it's probably quite beyond the point - they could just use the regular sheets system in that case.
It wouldn't. Google account sync just means that it would also auto-backup to a drive folder, etc. Just some ideas, but also I think the other thing is to be able to have personal backups of the data in a legible format in case the site is having issues and you need access to the sheets.

Quote:
I think the other thing is to be able to have personal backups of the data in a legible format in case the site is having issues and you need access to the sheets.
Does the immutability of the pdf backup negate that use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Does the immutability of the pdf backup negate that use?
Only partially, that's why I was saying that the effort might make it not worth the entire benefit of doing something like this.

Well I was directed here, so figured Id add some feedback from an average user. I wish there was an option in the sheets next to the download to download as a pdf, or possibly just an option when right clicking on the sheet and saving as. I wouldnt have thought to do so that Id have to go to print, considering I dont even have a printer.

Otherwise I noticed on my 5e sheet that saving as pdf didnt save my character picture, while saving my pathfinder one had no noticable issues at all.

Otherwise how hard would it be to just allow us to upload said pdf's for a backup of our characters if we needed to instead of whatever the json text blob does? Im not against either one, just as long as I can open a backup file and view it as is offline and easily upload it to the site in case I needed to.

Quote:
I wouldnt have thought to do so that Id have to go to print, considering I dont even have a printer.
"print" to pdf has been around for quite a while, I don't know why it's not an option in the "save page" options within browsers.

Quote:
I noticed on my 5e sheet that saving as pdf didnt save my character picture, while saving my pathfinder one had no noticable issues at all.
I can look into what might be causing that.

Quote:
Otherwise how hard would it be to just allow us to upload said pdf's
Never happening nigh-impossible hard. I'd have to be generating the pdf as an editable object, and then bring that exact same type back in. It's sufficiently difficult that building a desktop app to handle the json data would be easier.

Well, long ago I took a class in Database management. To save the fields content into a database is really cheaper in space than having them separated into PDFs. The issue will always be regarding security and access.

Perhaps a Java Applet? one that displays the information similar to the sheets' format in Myth Weavers and could be saved to the device used so the downloaded JSON files can be edited offline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
Actually using this site all the information comes out pretty nicely under sheet_data->jsondata. Sure no nice layout but all the info that you need to recreate the sheet.

http://www.jsoneditoronline.org/
This suggestion is a good intermediate for now.