The Iraq War - Was it really about oil? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

The Iraq War - Was it really about oil?

The administration and friends at the time already owned a lot of oil. The war was going to drive up the price of oil. (There is no way it couldn't because of the demand created by a war effort).

So there was definite motive. Only Bush and Cheney know what the primary motive was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyff View Post
People don't realize that a large portion of iraq was the age old method of 'choosing a battlefield'.

See after 9/11 we were left with a lot of dead people, and a fight that was on our shores. We knew that if we did nothing, that fight would continue to be here, in our land. Now given it has a snowballs chance in hell of actually working here for more than five minutes. But if we did nothing, they would have tried to fight this war in our neighborhood. As that was the best tactic for them. Surprise attacks had just paid off big for them, there was no reason for them to stop using them.

So we had to 'turn'. We had to change the playing field. In chess terms we had just been checked, we had to make some movement that would prevent us being stuck in a check loop.

How do you do that? Especially when your opponent is not a nation, has no loyalties at all, and otherwise has very little in terms of face forward assets for us to attack with big bombs dropped from planes?

Simple.

You. Take. Their. Shit.

Take something of theirs, and force them to defend their own territory. Pick a spot, walk in, kick the crap out of the people holding it, and tell the whole world that despite just having lost thousands of civilians, you're still the big dog in the yard, and what you want, you get. Force THEM to react instead of you.

Iraq was perfect for that. They were screwing up already, which meant the UN wouldn't be screaming at us for picking fights. It was dead center of their turf, and fight wise they didn't have much especially after we walked in and broke their toys the first time.

So that's exactly what we do. We take Iraq, say ha ha, we took your stuff. Whatcha going to do about it?

And they did exactly what we knew they would, exactly what we gave them no choice but to do. They tried to take back what we took.

Funny thing about insurgencies. They're not cheap. It takes boatloads of money to recruit men, train them, arm them, and then move them, all without having a national government to facilitate any of it.

So we turned it into a bloodbath. We were kiling them at what? 10 to 1? 20 to 1? Someone who was there could give better numbers on that. But we were killing them almost as fast as the pricks could train and arm them.

All that money, eventually left a paper trail. One we followed all the way to Bin Laden's left cheekbone...

That's not the ONLY reason we went... not nearly. But from a strategy standpoint it was classic Tsun Tsu.

If your enemy goes to ground, leave him no ground to go to.
How was Iraq "their" territory, considering that Saddam was a secular dictator who did not like Al Qaeda? (Along with every other government in the ME except for Afghanistan.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaker View Post
The administration and friends at the time already owned a lot of oil. The war was going to drive up the price of oil. (There is no way it couldn't because of the demand created by a war effort).

So there was definite motive. Only Bush and Cheney know what the primary motive was.
The U.S. military was consuming about 140 million barrels of oil a year at the time, which out of about 7 billion barrels a year for the whole U.S. is approximately 2% of the U.S.'s oil consumption at the time. By itself, demand for the military, which went up 40%, likely could not have been responsible for a significant hike in oil prices, which started to increase after about 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMChapmanii View Post
I don't think it was oil, but I feal I have to answer this: The US people, the positions are not in complete control, only most. if political opinion turn so bad then the political party's could actually loose power.

As to the topic, my vote is because they needed a fall back man for two very expensive falling from the sky and killing thousands. And hear is why: The video containing the act of terror have all been change. There was even a psychologist who said that there was no video actually showing the buildings falling down and that more than 1/2 of the USA population just imagined that they saw the video of this happening. However I actually found a small clip of the original video after the event, so whatever the reason it was not due to two buildings falling down. (Though I do wonder what was in those videos that required them all being hidden.)
So you don't think 9/11 happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
(Along with every other government in the ME except for Afghanistan.)
And possibly Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyff
Stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
How was Iraq "their" territory, considering that Saddam was a secular dictator who did not like Al Qaeda? (Along with every other government in the ME except for Afghanistan.)
I think the short of it is actually Al-Qaeda and the Taliban were in Afghanistan and not really operating to a large extent in Iraq (save for ALQI who played a very limited role in the war, then and now).

Afghanistan didn't have much oil, at least not a notable amount (all countries have some oil though), so oil wouldn't have been a big concern there, either. Saddam's insurgency were also made up of ex-soldiers rather than members they had to recruit and train, so the financial issues weren't a big deal for them either as they basically just stole the military equipment as they fled the Iraq army.

Essentially he's just uh, mixing up the wars.