World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

My Farland Pen&Paper game

Great, no problem. I think I will modify this to make my own version of wounds. It will be far enough from this RSKennan's version that no credit will be necessary. Thanks for turning me on to it!

I'm loving how you are posting this. It's awesome what you did with the Towers of Night adventure. Keep it coming!

Session yesterday

Hello Farland Fans.

Yesterday, we played another session in the gritty world of Farland.
The result is shocking: two player characters died!

Read my previous post to find out where the players started yesterday's session.

The lightning that struck the tower, required everyone to roll two saving throws.
One: DC21 Strength saving throw, or be knocked prone.
Two: DC21 Constitution saving throw, or be deafened for 1d10 combat rounds.
All five party members failed both their saving throws, which is obvious since the DC is ridiculously high. It was my intention as DM that they should really experience the chaos at this very moment.
With a lack of communication, the party members were unsure what to do. 1 skeleton still remained on the tower, while three archer skeletons still had their longbows ready at the brave adventurers.
As one stood up, he immediatly got fired by three skeleton archers, so crawling was the idea here.
The brave paladin stood up as well, took his greatsword and made an attempt on the flesh golem that was still strapped with four thick iron chains. His sword litterly bounced of the stiched skin of the fleshgolem, for he was impervious to non-magical attacks. I flavored it so, that this flesh golem was an encounter not to mess with. I also told them that it had strange humanlike reactions. It was shocked that it found itself on the altar, strapped on chains.
Next turn, the warlock shot her eldrytch blast for an impressive 9 points of force damage. Again I explained the adventurers that this flesh golem was thinking to himself: Why? What is happening? Why are they attacking me?

After four rounds of combat, the flesh golem freed itself from its chains. The adventurers finaly understood the DM's hint that Frankensteins monster was not as monsterious as Frankenstein was himself. By that time however, it was already to late. The large flesh golem stood up, was surprised by its own strength, and started a rampage.

I gave the adventurers four combat rounds to get inside the tower, away from this flesh golem, but two player characters were still on the tower. The fifth round, the flesh golem made two attacks, one at the barbarian, and one at the warlock, who stomped them unconsious with vigorous rage. As he was running downstairs the 6th round of combat, the flesh golem realized that the ranger was stabilizing the unconsious characters, and he ran towards him. The ranger reacted clever. I allowed him to use his animal handling skill to make a peacefull suggestion. He rolled real crap however, so the flesh golem was not impressed. The flesh golem did not want his attackers to leave, so he placed one of his big foots on the almost corpse of the barbarian. In the mean time, the barbarian and warlock got both stabilized.

The paladin and wizard had found their way on the fourth level, and engaged themselves in a combat with the hordes of zombies that were running upstairs, one each combat round. They managed to barricade the stairway by just litterly breaking down the crane and throwing everything they could find down the hole.

The next round, the ranger offered the flesh golem a goodberry. He even cleverly administered one himself to show how it works. The flesh golem was intrigued and felt no danger from this ranger, as he had not made an agressive move yet. The next round, the flesh golem took one berry and just took his sweet time to investige what it was. The ranger just kept is nerves under control, but he feared for his life. The next round, the flesh golem ate the goodberry and enjoyed it. At this point, the wizard came upstairs and started to ask all sorts of questions to the flesh golem. The flesh golem was obsessed by the berry and paid no response.

Untill the Gnome Wizard named Beryn. At this point, the flesh golem rampaged again and started charging at the gnome wizard. The little gnome quickly moved to the fourth level, climbed on the rope, and started to climb down as fast as he could. The flesh golem, not paying any attention to the ranger anymore, wanted this gnome dead. The word Beryn triggered a bad feeling inside him. As the gnome was climbing down, he repeated the name Beryn as many times as he could. The flesh golem pulled up the rope in one huge swing. I gave the gnome wizard a choice. You either let go and fall down, or hold on and get swung up, probably in the hands of the flesh golem. The gnome wizard was still a long way from a safe landing, and he decided his luck on an acrobatics check DC 10 to let go and grapple the ledge. He failed however, and paid quite some falling damage. He remained on two hitpoints, burried in the bones of the pit. The flesh golem held up the long end of the rope, questioning himself where the small and old gnome went.

In the meanwhile, the paladin was holding the fray against the hordes of incomming undead. However, the flesh golem had lost his target, and saw the juicy paladin as his next victim. He remembered the paladin's attack with his greatsword, and so, the flesh golem attacked him.

As a DM , I almost felt sorry for the party members. But I said to myself: I gave the players four rounds of combat to flee, and they decided to stay. They even thaught for a moment that they could kill the flesh golem and attacked him.

It was there, the paladin got knocked down by the flesh golem. The flesh golem's only point of interest, was the ranger. But the ranger had hid himself on the outside wall. A hide and seek game started, where the ranger succeeded to grab the barbarian and the 80 feet chain, and climbed his way down to the gnome, holding an unconsious barbarian in one hand, and climbing down with the other hand. This left however, the flesh golem with one final duty. Cleaning time. He picked up the stabilized warlock and paladin, and threw them down inside the pit. It was, what he would do, for both the warlock and the paladin made an assault on the flesh golem. The falling damage was more then the characers maximum hitpoints, and so they died instantly from the fall.

the warlock and paladin dead.

The ranger however, climbed his way downwards, with hungry zombies trying to get in reach. With a heavy barbarian on his shoulder, he had to roll athelics checks as well as constitution checks. At one point, he failed his constitution check and he had to drop the barbarian. In the meanwhile, the gnome wizard rolled out his bedroll and cleared the way of sharp bones, minimalizing the falling damage. The barbarian dropped down, 'survived' the fall for the damage was less then his max hit points. He immediatly got stabilized by the gnome wizard.

The gnome wizard, the ranger and barbarian found the secret hadge beneath the bonepit that leads to the other tower, and climbed their way to the other side. The zombies climbed down, even jumped down, eager to get a meal. The ranger collapsed the narrow cave, and they were safe. But for how long? And what is on the other side of this secret passage?

More Farland D&D next wednesday.

Wow, super exciting! I'm jealous how often you get to play. Congrats on your 2 kills. haha! We had a death at level 1 also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoEvrIwant2b View Post
Brutal lesson not to pick fights you can not win
I think a lot of players have trouble with this lesson. It might be the nature of D&D-- a lot of fights are tailored to party level, so when they are tougher, players get taken by surprise and are often too proud to run.

Again, I'm very impressed with your thoroughness. I appreciate how you have taken the World of Farland published adventures and expanded on them to make a fully fleshed out campaign. Very nicely done. I also really like your codex idea.

Yesterday, We've played another session of D&D@Farland.

After leaving the house of Margreth Dalton butt naked (they have been robbed of their stuff, see my previous post for a recap), the adventurers crawled themselves inside a random barn and took their long rest. The next morning, the party had a discussion if they should enter Northwood and what to expect there. Nicolas came from Northwood and as such, he knew the following facts about Northwood:

Travel is forbidden, so it's strange that new people come barging in.
Possession of armor and weapons is illegal.
Thursday is market-day
Friday is tax collection day
Saturday is tax day
Sunday is church day

The adventurers relised they entered Northwood on Thursday, seeing the market build up. They decided to enter the tavern/inn the Merry Mage to ask around if they could find work. There, a new PC told them they could find work at farmer Dortmund's place, who told the adventurers the following story:

This will be my last year on Nurion, for I cannot weather another winter. I am alone now, but this was not always so. I had two sons, and a lovely wife. The day they raised the taxes from 6 to 7 silver, we couldn't afford a living anymore. I told my wife I would had to work in the mines several weeks a year. But my boys, they saw it coming. The next tax-day, they offered themselves to the orcs instead, so both me and my wife could live on. A parent should never see their children go like that. Next Saturdays, I awaited their return. I knew chances were slim, but I had a young man's hope these days. Week after week, I felt life running out of my veins. I felt, that they were no more. It was just a fool's hope that they would survive such a horrid place as the mines of Hestor. That's how I lost my boys, both taken away, sold into slavery. <Pause>
Me and my wife had each other, until several weeks ago. Some bandits came barging in when we were sitting at the fireplace. They wanted all valuables. Even some furnitures they took away. When they took my son's plow, my wife startled. It was our last reminder of our son. We begged not to take it. Then one bandit hit my wife with the back of his hand. I stood up, I grabbed my chair and plunged it in the head of the bandit. It least, that's what I thought I did, for the other bandit had fired his crossbow, right in my leg. I felt backwards, not able to resist anymore. My wife yelled, and they hit her again...<Pause>
It was then, I saw the most shocking thing in a very long time. A man barged in to my house , raised his two-handler, swung it at the bandit without warning. From out the back, I saw flashes of magic, shot at the other bandit right into it's face. As it went down, it hit his head, right there on the floor. Look! You can still see the crack in the wood, over here. These two strange heroes cowered of the final bandit. I looked upon the faces of the heroes and I saw, a goodness in their faces I have not seen in a long long time. Besides that, they were quite the unusual couple. A tiefling woman, and a half-orc man. <Pause>
After the fight. I insisted they should stay here for the night. They looked rather exhausted from their travels. The next morning, they left, rather quickly. The following days my wife found it hard to live without our sons. A certain melancholia catched her like a cold, As I found her dead the next week. She hung herself, couldn't bear to live anymore. <Pause>
For me, I have lived my life. I have seen many of the night, and many of the evil in the eyes of man. But I have also seen good things. I have always worked my fields with dedication and pleasure. I have even had the opportunity to see two heroes, saving my skin from the bandits. Speaking of which, tell me, as adventurers of strange lands, do you happen to have crossed upon a Tiefling and a half-Orc? What happened to them? <Pause>
Well, that's a pity. Well, the darker the night, the brighter light. That's what my father used to tell me, and his father before him. Do not forget, strangers, that there is good in this world, although it's sometimes just covered in the shade. <end>

The adventurers now found themselves a place to stay. From Monday till Friday, they have to work the fields. Saturday and Sunday, they are free. However, Dortmund told them to lay low, for if Mayor Arnulf von Gerhan finds out about new townfolk, he wants to register them for the taxes, which the adventurers can't pay up right now.
From the random rumor table, the adventurers found out the following two rumors:

5. Vuzembi's Shack Rumor 1. [DC 10]
Water carrier Boris Whiteanvil: 'There is this strange gray fox appearing in the Serpent Woods. It's got a very unnatural stare, with one blue eye and one green eye.'

8. Hides for Money Rumor 1 [DC 10]
Merchant Peter Ack-Telthor: I've heard that Boris Whiteanvil pays quite some silver for animal hides.

The adventurers decided to march into the Serpent woods to find hides and the fox. However, they were found by two saber-tooth tigers, which resulted in a deadly encounter. The warlock climbed in a tree and started firing away. In a surprise round, I rolled 17 points of damage and downed the moon-druid in that blow. The barbarian could soak up lots of blows, and in the end, they barely survived!
The adventurers hobbled they way out of the forest again and took rest at Dortmund's place.

Next Wednesday, more Farland D&D!

You run a dangerous game. I like your rumor generation mechanism!