Grammar Question - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Grammar Question

Grammar Question

Alright so on another post in the Star Wars folder I said "there aren't enough female empresses".

Needless to say although I find nothing wrong with this phrase, some poster who thought he was oh so clever in misunderstanding me on purpose said something along the lines of "I can't think of any empresses who aren't female".

This brings me to my question.

Am I grammatically correct? Or is he right to snark me and my poor understanding of English language?

In my opinion saying "there aren't enough female emperors" would be the equivalent of saying "there aren't enough female princes." (That's plural for "prince" not princess missing an s.)

I thought my statement was rather clear, there aren't enough female characters that carry the title of "Empress" hell, we just recently got our only real non-evil mainstream "Queen", the "Queen" being evil while the "Princess" is pure, is so common that there's an entire trope around it. When's the most recent work of fiction you actually saw an "Empress" in? I can't recall one in recent memory.

Of course, my primary question here is which one of us is in the right? Am I grammatically correct or not? I suppose one could make an argument for redundancy...but I don't think it was really such a huge error to warrent him ignoring the entire rest of the post just to snark me, he didn't even reply to what the post was saying, he quote mined that one point JUST to basically tease me.

I suppose the technically correct thing to say would be that there aren't enough empresses. As the title 'empress' is already feminine, ergo saying female empress is a bit like saying ATM machine, or PIN number.

Of course, anyone who is going to make a hijack a discussion to make that point is basically a troll anyway, so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I suppose the technically correct thing to say would be that there aren't enough empresses. As the title 'empress' is already feminine, ergo saying female empress is a bit like saying ATM machine, or PIN number.

Of course, anyone who is going to make a hijack a discussion to make that point is basically a troll anyway, so.
Yeah I figured him for that, but I didn't want to report it for trolling. I tend to be very conservative with my report button, mostly because I figure if I'm conservative with it, I'll be less likely to make enemies. Of course I'm starting to wonder if I should be more liberal with it, considering how fast my "ignore" list is growing.

In fact I think the only times I've ever used it, was when someone was blatantly insulting me, or writing something that implied illegal activity from the way I read it. (Turns out emulators can be used for things besides pirated roms!)

I'll probably be wrong but I'm currently avoiding my Law Assignment's final question so I'll post anyway. Plus I'm tired so I probably am going to be wrong.

It's not grammatically incorrect but it is redundant given that you can only be an Empress if you are female. But still, meh. It doesn't matter that much to me.

I will point out that I was going to post the same comment that that person did, I just held off because I generally find people don't appreciate me being the snarky, sarcastic person I generally am.

There is no point to this thread. If you have a problem with another user, report it, bring it up with them, or bring it up with the Staff. If you want to have a discussion around what happened (the use of the expression "female empress" or the like), there is no need to bring the personal details into it. Thread closed.