NaNoWrimo 2018 - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

NaNoWrimo 2018

http://www.fastcharacter.com/

Makes character sheets quickly with relative customization in 5e. Might be useful for inspiration? Depending on your genre that is.

A little more helpful because 5e bakes some characterization into the standard CharGen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
Are there any good random beat sheet generators for laughs or inspiration?
I don't think you'll find any beat sheet generators, but you can find plenty of resources about beat sheets. Harlequin has some amazing resources for romance writers because they like getting exactly what they want to publish. Their materials can be adapted to most anything. As a second choice, take a story you love and dissect it down to the nonspecific plot points. use that as your planner.

By "nonspecific," I mean something like this:
>Boy has a crappy life.
>Event removes boy from crappy life and flings him into amazing world.
>Boy makes new friends.
>Boy makes new enemies.

That's the essence of the first few chapters of Harry Potter. Don't use anything specific, like a creepy wand maker, giant motorcycles, or animagus, but you can totally rip off the general idea of any story. And it's okay to be derivative, especially in your first draft. People like reading things that are similar to other things they also like, they just want enough of a difference so it's a new story.

If you want random ideas to get you started, I recommend looking at random adventure seed tables, like the ones in the various DMGs.

Personally, I start with at least one of these three things:
1. subgenre OR a thing I totally want to have in the setting, like dragons, spaceships, or teleportation
2. some trait or goal I want the main character to have
3. a type of quest that drives the story OR some trait or goal I want the villain to have

This year, I'm writing a lesbian space opera with dragons, pirates, and ninjas. It began with the intent to write a book with dragons. The rest came later.

Grab yourself a friend and use them as a sounding board. Gaming friends are great for this because they already have that sense of how to make a story crazy and awesome.

Use tropes. Try a Team Trope to get your group set up. Fall down the TVTropes rabbit hole and see what catches your eye.

Good luck!

Less than a week away! *panic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinous View Post
This year, I'm writing a lesbian space opera with dragons, pirates, and ninjas. It began with the intent to write a book with dragons. The rest came later.

I'm already wondering whether or not I'll need to cancel regular things I do in order to make time to do this.

I've not had much success at consistently writing X words in Y hours. Last year it was very much sit in a chair and write until I finished the days allotment. But the chair time varied each day

I've found that writing target challenges and the Harry Potter challenges hold my attention outside of the story itself. Then again, I find that I have a deep satisfaction in seeing the wordcount bar go up and turn colors when you meet the day's goal, so achieving small markers really seems to do it for me.

Also, the novel I was going to write was switched this week, and I'm going back to something from a few years ago. The friends that had been reading along finally convinced my muse that I left them in a terrible place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua13905 View Post
I'm already wondering whether or not I'll need to cancel regular things I do in order to make time to do this.

I've not had much success at consistently writing X words in Y hours. Last year it was very much sit in a chair and write until I finished the days allotment. But the chair time varied each day
It's not unheard of to DVR all your preferred TV shows until the end of the month and binge everything you missed in early December.

I find I can really ramp up my productivity if I keep my social media time to a bare minimum (I have to do some for work, but no more than that).

Also, write-ins. Most NaNo regions have at least one a week. Check your home region's calendar for what's planned already, and if you can't make any of them, suggest some times and places you could go. Most MLs appreciate when Wrimos step up and host one! Hosting is easy, too. You just go there and write in physical proximity to other people who are also writing. No need to do any games or have handouts, or anything of the sort. Write-ins can really help people because it becomes a sort of obligation to go to this place, at this time, and write, goshdarnit.

Hi, I'm new here and will be participating in Nano myself. I'm actually a Municipal Liaison for a new region last year and this year.