NaNoWrimo 2018 - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

NaNoWrimo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight View Post
I'm not worried about finishing, I'm worried about starting! Like, at some point I have to decide if I'm doing medieval fantasy or urban fantasy or space opera, and that point has not yet happened.

How does anyone else decide what book they want to write before sitting down to the blank page?
Every story starts with a "what if?".

What if video game characters escape their games into the real world?
What if there's a dragon inside Mt St. Helens?
What if vampires drink souls instead of blood?
What if there's a zombie plague, except it affects dogs instead of humans?
What if my D&D character hopped into the real world?
What if anyone can use magic with the right ingredients?
What if someone went back in time and killed [a historical person] before [a thing they did]?
What if dinosaurs never went extinct in this one region of the world?
What if Antarctica is hiding an ancient evil and polar ice melting frees it?
What if a necromancer falls in love with a sun mage?
What if canines became the progenitors of the dominant intelligent race instead of primates?

And so on.

Start with something you think is cool and would love to write about. Give it a twist. Ask the idea some "why?" questions. Bounce your thoughts off a fellow human being.

Alternatively, you can rewrite a story you know and love in some alternative genre, like adapting Tom Sawyer into cyberpunk or Cinderella into space opera.

If you're still stumped, write some fanfic. Fanfic is amazing and wonderful. You can't sell it, but you can write it to your heart's content, and it's great practice for many facets of writing.

I am registered with NaNiWriMo as rozukitsune. I failed entirely to write more than maybe 100 words last year... maybe I'll do better this time.

Sure. It's been two years since I've tried. I have an outline. I can make up character names as I go.

arcanasphere

Added MrAndrewJ (arcanasphere) and CasualCryptic (cody)

I think that's everyone that has piped up so far, if I missed you I'm sorry! just yell at me again!

Special thanks once more to the Mods that are consistently updating my lead post with formatting and peoples names

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinous View Post
Every story starts with a "what if?".
This is all good advice—for a problem I don't have.

My problem is that I have a list of ten what if's and I can only start writing one of them on November 1st. I can't figure out which one to pick. I was hoping someone could share how they narrowed down their list of what if's into one this is what I'm writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviouslyTrolling View Post
Add me in! OutdatedButRelevant
Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight View Post
This is all good advice—for a problem I don't have.

My problem is that I have a list of ten what if's and I can only start writing one of them on November 1st. I can't figure out which one to pick. I was hoping someone could share how they narrowed down their list of what if's into one this is what I'm writing.
Did you know that a story can have multiple ideas folded together? It's true! You can have dragons AND soul-stealing vampires!

Seriously, though, that's a matter of settling down and picking something that makes you excited and happy to write. Make a decision. MAKE A DECISION.

It's worth noting that if writing doesn't make you happy and isn't fun, don't do it. Writing should not give you stress, it should alleviate stress. If all you get is stressed at the idea of this, don't do it, or change how you approach it. Maybe what you really want to do is journaling. Or poetry. Or game design. Or short stories. Or world-building. NaNoWriMo can be whatever you need it to be. Nobody needs to see what you write except you.