DC Universe - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

DC Universe

We are going to try it in December. Everyone gets out for Christmas break, so we can binge some cartoons. Should be $8 well spent. I can't imagine that we'll keep it much longer than a month though until the new Young Justice come out. Then we'll probably up for another month.

Hrmmmm....

Setting up their own webcast service. Not sure the economics will stack up, as they don't have a deep enough back-library. Will also probably mean those shows that are already on licensed distribution will get pulled (with the associated loss of eyeballs)

Seems like they are going to pull pretty much anything that isn't locked into a longer term license. I've watched the Titans trailers and have to say, they've just given me the strongest possible argument for NOT getting DCUniverse. On the other hand, eventually they will have Young Justice Season 3 which just might change my mind. It's not like I'd HAVE to watch Titans.

As far as economics go, they've got all the Timmverse stuff, Young Justice, Superboy and the Legion, probably the old Superfriends for that matter (if anyone cares). Plus what, four different Batman shows? And that's just animated. Live action, they should have Lois and Clark, 90's Flash, 60's Batman, Smallville, that horrible short lived Superboy show from the 90's that they'll probably forget they even have, all the CW shows (perhaps not immediately, but they will show up), Birds of Prey and probably something I've forgotten. Plus something like 60 animated movies, 7 live action Batman movies, 6 Superman movies, random stuff like Catwoman and any new projects. On top of that, they're going to have at least some comics, various "Making of", creator interviews, all that kind of stuff. Unlike say, CBS All Access, I think they have plenty of material, although I think they're going to stand or fall in large part on the new stuff.

I hate to be that guy but they're launching this in the shadow of Disney doing the same thing and Disney is big leaguing them super hard? "Titans huh? Well.. Loki... and Scarlet Witch will have their own TV shows with the movie actors, in the MCU and with Disney money backing the effects team."

Having seen the trailers for titans. I'm avoiding it like the plague. It seems the only department in DC comics that has it's stuff mostly together are the comics. Mind you the tv shows are less of a mess then the movies which just seem to be managed by chickens with their heads cut off.

Disney's not quite doing the same thing as their channel is going to be spread over EVERYTHING Disney. Which is an absolutely incredible amount of stuff, but I have a feeling Marvel might get a little lost in the mix. Plus, there will be a lot of pressure to keep everything at a level you're comfortable with your kid you thought was watching Little Mermaid stumbling across. Not necessarily a bad thing, but, just as an example, it explains why they aren't making any move to grab the Netflix shows while they are trying to reel in as many animated properties as they can.
Is Disney still going to crush DCUniverse? Uhm, duh, of course they will. Whether they can do that and make a profit their shareholders are happy with is a more relevant question. And one I can't answer. Whether DCUniverse can survive as a niche property in the shadow of the colossus that is Disney is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Disney's not quite doing the same thing as their channel is going to be spread over EVERYTHING Disney. Which is an absolutely incredible amount of stuff, but I have a feeling Marvel might get a little lost in the mix. Plus, there will be a lot of pressure to keep everything at a level you're comfortable with your kid you thought was watching Little Mermaid stumbling across. Not necessarily a bad thing, but, just as an example, it explains why they aren't making any move to grab the Netflix shows while they are trying to reel in as many animated properties as they can.
Is Disney still going to crush DCUniverse? Uhm, duh, of course they will. Whether they can do that and make a profit their shareholders are happy with is a more relevant question. And one I can't answer. Whether DCUniverse can survive as a niche property in the shadow of the colossus that is Disney is another.
Disney has a deal in place with Hulu. Hulu will host all R-Rated Disney products and the rest will be on the Disney network. That excludes the 'Defenders' line because Netflix has an extended license for those characters and Disney can't use them without permission. But that's off-topic and I apologize for bringing it up.

DCU is gonna bomb. I don't WANT it to bomb but I just can't imagine them producing stuff fast enough to justify a lasting subscription. It's more likely that I'd sub and watch whatever show caught my interest, then unsub immediately. Most of the DC movies are... not good. If any of those come out and look promising, I'd just 'rent' them on Amazon for a night and stream it for 2 bucks if I don't go to the theater.

Titans looks... bad. I mean, I'll give it an episode maybe if there's a trial period but I don't expect much. It LOOKS good, except Starfire. I mean, Robin, Dove and Hawk look GREAT! It's way too 90's edgy for me and the trailer made me roll my eyes more than once.

They have some of the best animation movies and animated TV series available. The CW TV line up like Flash and Arrow is pretty good too. Problem is I own the season sets so Young Justice 3 is the only real draw for me there. Access to their back issues of comics would be a selling point. Movie wise DC has not achieved the same level of success that the Marvel / Disney money making machine has. That said I am still more of a DC fan.

Yeah, at some point I'll probably grab a month subscription just to watch Young Justice 3. Well, plus a few of the animated movies I haven't caught up with yet. But an ongoing subscription just doesn't seem worth it. And I can only afford so many streaming services. Heck, I might even dump Netflix for Disney eventually if they keep making Marvel and Star Wars stuff that is actually good.