D&D 5e Casting Disciplines Idea - Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

D&D 5e Casting Disciplines Idea

D&D 5e Casting Disciplines Idea

These are a few ideas i've had about what i call Disciplines. These are optional rules that players can take for their characters that have any kind of spellcasting ability, that affect how characters cast their spells, more than what kinds of spells they cast. No matter what players can only take one spellcasting Discipline, regardless of multiclass, and their Discipline affects all spells equally. I'm posting them here for feedback, additional ideas, and generally just to see what you guys think.

1: Elemental-Mancy: Pyromancy, Fulgurmancy, Cryomancy, and the like. Taking this Discipline changes the damage type of all damaging spells that the character learns to the damage type chosen. For example, a Pyromancer would change all damaging spells to deal Fire damage. This change happens upon LEARNING the spell, not CASTING the spell, and as such those who take this discipline cannot choose to deal a different type of damage. In addition, being restricted to one damage type causes your damaging spells to become more potent. Gain the effects of the Elemental Adept Feat, with the addition that creatures immune to your damage type are treated as resistant.

2: True Naming/Words of Creation: When you speak, the universe listens. Taking this Discipline adds the Verbal component to all of your spells. In addition, it removes the Somatic component of all of your spells. Casters taking this discipline cannot cast spells if they cannot speak. This includes the Subtle Spell Metamagic, or being in an area affected by the Silence Spell. Because of the unique nature of your Discipline, you cannot be Counterspelled unless the opposing caster also has the True Naming Discipline. Spell effects can still be dispelled as normal.

3: Rune Magic: You can write in the language of magic. Taking this Discipline adds the Somatic component to all of your spells. In addition, it removes the Verbal component of all of your spells. Casters taking this discipline cannot cast spells if they are restrained. This includes the Subtle Spell, and any time you are not in control of your own actions such as while being affected by a Hold Person spell. Because of the unique nature of your Discipline, you cannot be Counterspelled unless the opposing caster also has the Rune Magic Discipline. Spell effects can still be dispelled as normal.

2 things I'd like to ask about this.

1. So, these would apply to anyone who can cast spells? Even those classes who can't cast spells but the character takes a feat that grants them spellcasting ability?

2. I like what you've got about Verbal and Somatic; have you thought about adding one that adds the Material component to all spells? Or maybe it removes the ability to use an arcane focus, but rather any spell that has the Material component means that the caster has to have those materials to cast it? And then add the same thing where the character cannot be counterspelled unless the opponent has this same discipline?

1. In my mind, the disciplines would only apply to classes that grant casting, and not dabblers. In a setting, i'd use the disciplines as a kind of "magic college" thing. Something you can get through special focus and training, or from a dedicated teacher. The feats like magic initiate or ritual spellcasting i feel would be better left to themselves.

2. I had an idea for blood magic or stigmata as a way for replacing material components with hitpoint loss. 1 point per spell level, and an additional point for every 10 gold worth of expensive components. I also gave them the Tough feat for free to try and offset the cost, but it turned out to be simply too expensive for the player. survivability went way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
2 things I'd like to ask about this.

2. I like what you've got about Verbal and Somatic; have you thought about adding one that adds the Material component to all spells? Or maybe it removes the ability to use an arcane focus, but rather any spell that has the Material component means that the caster has to have those materials to cast it? And then add the same thing where the character cannot be counterspelled unless the opponent has this same discipline?
First attempt:

Perfected Alchemy: (requires proficiency with Alchemist's Kit) You are becoming enlightened to the magical potential in all mundane forms of matter, harnessing the sympathetic potential of material components to your perfected will and material body. Taking this Discipline adds the Material component to all of your spells. In addition, it removes the Verbal and Somatic component of all of your spells, allowing you to cast spells whie Paralyzed, Restrained, Silenced, and so forth. The magical effect still obviously emanates from you, so this is not Subtle Spell per se. Casters taking this discipline cannot cast spells if they are not in physical contact with their material components, or by using Foci such as wands or holy symbols specifically to eschew components. Items such as wands of the caster are now useless to the Perfected Alchemist, because of the elimination of somatic components. In exchange, because your long training in refining base matter for spellcasting purposes, the costs of consumable material components are reduced by the DM's judgment on importance of money in game. If less important, then a flat 50% discount. If more important, then a discount of your proficiency bonus x 5%.

@Lionhart

with your example i'm starting to see some of the other issues with trying to kind of copy/paste the True Naming mechanic. The thing about material components is that they can be eschewed by either a casting focus or a Component Pouch. You took the Focus away, but left the Pouch open, effectively taking away all of the components needed to cast a spell. Now we could solve that by taking away the Pouch as well, but then the character would have to spend an action to dig through their bag to find their components, possibly delaying them by a turn or more.

Another thing is now you have to add material components to all spells that don't have them within that casters spell list. This, i think, is the fatal flaw of a Material Component Discipline as it stands right now. The reason is that the caster must now have these components on hand to cast anything, which means their access to spells is effectively limited by what their DM decides those components are, and how difficult they are to obtain. So much of this becomes dependent on the DM that the effectiveness of the caster is far more swingy than i'd be comfortable with.

What do you guys think?

Material Components aren't so much 'eschewed' by taking a Component Pouch as the pouch is deemed to contain any component the caster may need (save for Costly Material Components). It's just a way to A) have your spell components readily available and B) not have to keep track of how many pinches of guano, or bits of pork rind you have left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Material Components aren't so much 'eschewed' by taking a Component Pouch as the pouch is deemed to contain any component the caster may need (save for Costly Material Components). It's just a way to A) have your spell components readily available and B) not have to keep track of how many pinches of guano, or bits of pork rind you have left.
^ Tedronai explained it better. Also, "in physical contact" was not meant to imply skin to component contact. It just means the component pouch is in your inventory. A generous DM might let you cast if you were touching it with your shoe, say, if your caster was tied up by a monologing villain NPC.

Second attempt:

Perfected Alchemy: (requires proficiency with Alchemist's Kit) You are becoming enlightened to the magical potential in all mundane forms of matter, harnessing the sympathetic potential of material components to your perfected will and material body. Taking this Discipline adds the Material component to all of your spells.

Spells that have no listed material component use a generic component, "Azoth", which is considered to be stored in your Component Pouch and replenished during downtime.

The Perfected Alchemy Discipline removes the Verbal and Somatic component of all of your spells, allowing you to cast spells whie Paralyzed, Restrained, Silenced, and so forth. The magical effect still obviously emanates from you, so this is not Subtle Spell per se.

Casters taking this discipline cannot cast spells if they do not have their Component Pouch equipped, or if they do not happen to have the correct components through other means. Casters cannot use Foci such as wands or holy symbols specifically to eschew components.

Items such as wands of the caster are now useless to the Perfected Alchemist, because of the elimination of somatic components. In exchange, because of your long training in refining base matter for spellcasting purposes, the costs of consumable material components are reduced by the DM's judgment on importance of money in game. If less important, then a flat 50% discount. If more important, then a discount of your proficiency bonus x 5%.

(Note - I added the gold piece reduction cost as a direct ribbon feature that referred to Alchemy's pop-historical depiction of transmuting lead to gold, instead of the counterspell feature from the other disciplines. Azoth is another pop-historical reference for Alchemy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander99 View Post
but the effect is the same. That's whats important.
No more so than 'having hands' allows a character to eschew somatic components.