Are there any official/fan-standard rules for mounts/non-humanoids as PCs? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Are there any official/fan-standard rules for mounts/non-humanoids as PCs?

Mounts/non-humanoids as PCs; are there any official/fan-standard rules?

You get the idea, right? There's lots of sapient animals to ride on in fantasy fiction, but are there any rules for playing one in 5e D&D?
I remember vaguely from Races & Classes (back in 4e) that the idea of adding talking animals as a playable race was seriously considered, but they couldn't get it to work within that ruleset...

Actually, what are the rules for one PC riding on another? In the case of wild shape or polymorph or whatnot? And what are the rules for dextrous acts and fine manipulation when you don't have a normal pair of hands?

*crickets chirping*

...Is that a no, then?

Fine, where do I go to petition for talking animals to be included in D&D?

In 5e? No.
There're some basic guidelines in 3.5, but 5e would firmly enter the "homebrew/ask DM" territory.

As for a PC riding another, 3.5 just rules it as normal, both creatures able to take their actions just like a normal mount/rider pair, though the rider doesn't need to make Ride check to guide the mount. 5e I have no idea on. It would likely function as normal.

For lacking hands, 3.5 was pretty clear on hands or hand-like appendages being hands. Tentacles, actual hands, explicitly prehensile tails, etc. act as hands. Otherwise, you get no hands and cannot perform fine/dexterous actions, including using weapons. Again, in 5e, you're not likely to find a concrete rule on this and instead enter "Ask DM" territory.

I personally have never heard of any 5e rules involving PC mounts. However an investigation into some homebrewed rules revealed this

Mounting and Dismounting: Mounting and Dismounting PC Mounts is the same as it is with normal mounts, but with a minor change that is if the PC mount decided to help you and if he did then you only spend 5 ft for any of the actions and the PC mount spend no actions.
Mount Type: For the sake of clarity, a PC mount counts as intelligent, and so cannot be commanded the way a standard mount, such as a horse, would. Additionally, PC mounts count as exotic mounts, and so require an exotic saddle, whether they are terrestrial, aquatic, or airborne.
Bareback Riding: If you are riding a mount bareback or with an inappropriate saddle, all checks or saves related to remaining seated are made at disadvantage.
Rider Weight: Provided the total weight of the rider and their gear does not exceed the PC mount's carrying capacity, a PC mount can travel at full speed. Note that this does not count the weight of the mount's gear.

As for where do you petition to get talking animal mounts, you'll have to talk with your DM

... All I can say is I have been hoping for, like, the last four games I've started that somewhere we'd get a player who wanted to play a character like this... and I've gotten zero takers despite giving some very attractive incentives to it...

Frustrating does not begin to describe.

@TanaNari; mm, I had my eye on Craigmacc's game, the two-player co-op one, because I thought a rider and sapient steed dynamic would be awesome. But his rule was WotC stuff only (with exceptions) and I couldn't find any official rules for playing as mounts.

@SMARTAgentKC, where did you find those homebrewed rules? Were they anywhere specific, or just common rulings?
As for mount abilities themselves, what bonuses and limitations do they have? Are they like druids in wild shape, not necessarily being able to manipulate objects (or being at disadvantage with fine manipulation)?

*wonders about designing a Giant Eagle PC. +2 Dex, +1 Str, Keen Sight, flight 80 ft, natural weapons (beak or talons, gain multiattack at 5th level), but can't effectively use specially designed weapons, armor, or tools, would that work?*

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/PC_Mou...e_Variant_Rule)

Basically what people are saying is that the whole concept of player characters riding on top of other Player Characters has been unexplored. You can use these rules as base guidelines but other then that it's all up to your DM

Hmm...that does look interesting. The bit on Boons mentioned under treasure could be useful for another idea I'm thinking of, actually, that one with un-falling paladins.

Is any of the material from that book available on the Pathfinder SRD?