Pokémon - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
As someone who has played since the very beginning, I'm most likely not going to be getting Let's Go. There's a lot of things that I like about and sound great, but there are so many additional things around it that I don't look forward to.

I really want the following Pokémon and the multiple ride-able Pokémon, but I don't know if I'm willing to give up wild battles for it. I definitely don't want Go-like capture mechanics. I definitely don't want CP. I don't want to catch nearly everything I come across.
I really, really don't want the Go-like throwing mechanic, mostly due to an accessibility standpoint. I dropped my whole system recently (I forgot to zip the carrying case fully) and now my right joycon has some minor input lag on the triggers and severe input lap on motion controls. So I can't really use the throwing controls properly, especially since they mentioned that later 'mon will be moving around and attacking randomly.

Plus, they mentioned the control scheme for mobile mode, where you aim the whole dang console with a reticle in the center. With how 'mon will be moving, that's gonna be really, really awkward for anyone who is, well, mobile.
In Pokemon Go, I do not try and catch everything I see. I only go after things that are useful. I stopped caring about XP January of last year and I'm level 35. I'm in no hurry to get to level 40. As for throwing mechanics, most people use a simple upward swipe. As for dropping your Switch, that's not the game's fault. However in Go, the movement of Pokemon is repetitive and becomes predictable. There will probably be tutorials on how to lock the circle for best effect.

Quote:
Nope. Twitter response from a dev said that they consider it a mainline game.
I'd like to see that post. If it is what you say that make it more likely that bank will be integrated, which I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
Oh you can catch Mew in Pokémon Go now? Hmmm...Tempting but something to really consider going back to play Pokémon Go.
Yes you can catch Mew. It is not easy, but it can be done. Some tasks on the quest are hard, but there's likely people in your area who can give tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
In Pokemon Go, I do not try and catch everything I see. I only go after things that are useful.
Catching is the primary way in which your party gains exp. It was directly stated during E3 that they want people catching everything they could specifically so that they could level up their party. They want players to see everything they come across as useful, which is why they added sizes much like Go has.
Quote:
As for throwing mechanics, most people use a simple upward swipe. As for dropping your Switch, that's not the game's fault. However in Go, the movement of Pokemon is repetitive and becomes predictable. There will probably be tutorials on how to lock the circle for best effect.
Yes, and as stated during E3 the movements are not going to be repetitive and in one place. It's not going to be Go's hopping in place, but similar to Sun/Moon's picture taking.
I know it's not the game's fault for me dropping the controller, but it is an accessibility issue. If I have to put my controllers back into place and pick up my Switch entirely every time I need to catch a 'mon, which is meant to be extremely common, the main aspect of the game becomes a chore.

Quote:
I'd like to see that post. If it is what you say that make it more likely that bank will be integrated, which I like.
You can find it here, as well as during the presentation itself. It was stated twice during the E3 announcement.

As for Bank compatibility, it's a massive unknown right now, since it is also confirmed that there will be no non-Gen 1 Pokémon outside of certain (pre)evolutions.

It's also worth keeping in mind that it'll be an accessibility issue for some people, full stop. Wrist injuries, chronic pain, etc.
Which is a bit of a bummer, I would think, for them. I'm not out to incite a crusade by any means, but I do think that sometimes it's worth thinking about.

Quote:
Catching is the primary way in which your party gains exp. It was directly stated during E3 that they want people catching everything they could specifically so that they could level up their party. They want players to see everything they come across as useful, which is why they added sizes much like Go has.
I guess I'll have to see how it plays. I have about 160 hours in Ultra Sun so I'm not really averse to a long play time in Let's Go.

Quote:
Yes, and as stated during E3 the movements are not going to be repetitive and in one place. It's not going to be Go's hopping in place, but similar to Sun/Moon's picture taking.
I know it's not the game's fault for me dropping the controller, but it is an accessibility issue. If I have to put my controllers back into place and pick up my Switch entirely every time I need to catch a 'mon, which is meant to be extremely common, the main aspect of the game becomes a chore.
That sounds kind of neat. I can't imagine it being too difficult to play though. I mean it has to be playable for children. Sun was my first core game, and I cakewalked through it, including the Elite Four, very easily just using the little I know from Pokemon Go for selecting types. Ultra Sun was a bit more challenging, but I still beat the Elite Four on the first try, and beat them a second time later on in one try. If Let's Go is more challenging I'll be happy.

Quote:
You can find it here, as well as during the presentation itself. It was stated twice during the E3 announcement.

As for Bank compatibility, it's a massive unknown right now, since it is also confirmed that there will be no non-Gen 1 Pokémon outside of certain (pre)evolutions.
Thanks for the link. That's kind of interesting. They did mention there will be a Pokemon no one has ever seen before, which makes me wonder if Gen 1 will be amended to 152 instead of 1. I joked about it being Baby Eevee, though Pichu was Gen 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
It's also worth keeping in mind that it'll be an accessibility issue for some people, full stop. Wrist injuries, chronic pain, etc.
Which is a bit of a bummer, I would think, for them. I'm not out to incite a crusade by any means, but I do think that sometimes it's worth thinking about.
Oh you don't have to tell me about chronic pain. Before Pokemon Go, I had to talk with a cane. Walking is actually my main form of pain management, from chronic illness. I hurt every minute of every day. If some features are problematic, I'm guessing they won't make it to the Gen 8 game coming out next year.

Quote:
I guess I'll have to see how it plays. I have about 160 hours in Ultra Sun so I'm not really averse to a long play time in Let's Go.

That sounds kind of neat. I can't imagine it being too difficult to play though. I mean it has to be playable for children. Sun was my first core game, and I cakewalked through it, including the Elite Four, very easily just using the little I know from Pokemon Go for selecting types. Ultra Sun was a bit more challenging, but I still beat the Elite Four on the first try, and beat them a second time later on in one try. If Let's Go is more challenging I'll be happy.

Thanks for the link. That's kind of interesting. They did mention there will be a Pokemon no one has ever seen before, which makes me wonder if Gen 1 will be amended to 152 instead of 1. I joked about it being Baby Eevee, though Pichu was Gen 2.
Yeah, I've got over 300 hours in S/M, though far less in USUM. Length isn't an issue.

All the games from the Alola region were exceptionally easy games. I mean, Pokémon was never meant to be difficult, especially not outside of playing against other people, but S/M were almost coddling compared to other games in the series.

It's very unlikely that Let's Go is going to be more challenging. The little preview they did of Brock's gym was a bit weird, what with being required to show a water or grass type 'mon in order to challenge it.

It was explicitly said during the E3 presentation that the goal of the game is to bring in a set of people:
The very young.
The very new.
People who haven't played in many generations.
Players who were previously mobile only/mostly.

Considering you fall into two of those categories, I'm not surprised you're excited. And I'm not saying you shouldn't be. I'm just airing my complaints as someone who's been with the series for nearly 20 years.
And in a not-quite-relevant vein, also annoyed that people like me keep getting told that my complaints don't matter specifically because of how long I've been a fan. Or even being outright told I'm not really a fan because I'm giving the game 100% support.

Yeah I been playing since Pokemon Blue, and I have to admit that the newer games just sort of fell flat to me.

That being said I am happy they are still making games for it, even though they aren't really for me at this point.

Pokerole was mentioned upthread, and I have to give my vote to that being a great system to use for Pokemon. It's got a few warts (size being the main factor to determine HP for one thing), but overall I enjoyed running it. In fact I introduced my wife to Pokemon via running a Pokerole game.

Though I think she has inherited my bias toward the first 151. :P

I have been inundated with gifts for the last three days due to trading going live in Pokémon Go. I have something like 68 friends already because Calgary is pretty active. By inundated I mean I am now having to delete items from my bag to accept gifts. I have hatched two Alolan Meowths so far. I'd have more but there was a crazy thunderstorm yesterday. While I was at Walmart, the store was flooding and got struck by lightning while I was inside. Alolan Rattata has been spotted and caught in the wild. When I run into a player I will try actual trading.