General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

ST: Discovery

I came in to discuss DIS but got hit by a pay wall... :P

I'm enjoying the show far more in the last few episodes than the first. It's still far darker than I would like (cannibalism, sexual violence and other forms of extreme violence, and cursing in Trek just feels wrong) but there's some optimism peeking through. The mid-season finale was wonderful. The actual Klingon war has been talked about too much and not shown anywhere near enough. They tried to do DS9's Dominion War without the seasons of DS9 build up , character development, and resultant emotional investment. Still... I look forward eagerly to the January restart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
I came in to discuss DIS but got hit by a pay wall... :P

I'm enjoying the show far more in the last few episodes than the first. It's still far darker than I would like...
Ha, nice : )

I definitely get the "darker" complaint. I feel the same way. I also accept and understand what they're doing and why. The "they're not there yet" reasoning works for me. I'm grateful that it doesn't feel gratuitous, though I do have this niggling fear that they're skirting that territory. But your'e right, it is moving towards the light... January can't come soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
Not trying to be a troll: Just trying to point out the logic flaws.
Except you're pointing in the wrong direction. The people citing Rotten Tomatoes are precisely the ones espousing popular opinion. "Hey look, the audience score on RT is only 53%, it must suck!". I'm the one pointing out the logic flaws in that argument, while you're the one posting one-line snickers.

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk to you -- as said before, you've had some good, thoughtful responses in this thread... but the one about popularity wasn't one. Everyone needs to stop with the sniping and keep with the thoughtful, polite discussion.

To summarize:
  • I think the show is good-to-great.
  • Many other people agree with this assessment.
  • This means that the show is subjectively good, not objectively good.
  • Similarly, just because a vocal contingent of Trek fans say it's bad doesn't mean it's bad.
  • Objectively, the number of vocal Trek fans who say it's bad is actually quite small.
  • People who don't actually watch the show should watch the show so that they have informed, more valuable opinions about the actual show itself and not just the production around it.
  • CBS All Access has a free trial. That means watching the show is FREE. So, no excuses on that front.

Actually, I suspect there is one more (minor) problem.

Hmm, nope, I'd be wrong, CBS actually did apparently continue with 360 support. Used to most newer media aps being XBone only.