Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Regarding Craft and Profession checks to earn weekly income:

The general idea is a character spends 8 hrs sleeper, 8 hours working, and 8 hours on miscellany during each day. So, a character who does not need to sleep might get away with working 2 jobs each week. A golem or undead might conceivably work 3 jobs each week, since they don't need to anything else at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddir View Post
Regarding Craft and Profession checks to earn weekly income:

The general idea is a character spends 8 hrs sleeper, 8 hours working, and 8 hours on miscellany during each day. So, a character who does not need to sleep might get away with working 2 jobs each week. A golem or undead might conceivably work 3 jobs each week, since they don't need to anything else at all.
But remember, no matter what you are (nor how many hours in a day on the planet you're on) you can only work 8 hours a day on magic items.

Does an awakened (as per the spell awaken undead) zombie retain the
I've also seen this labeled as Single Actions Only (ex)
Slow ability? The description of the ability, from the SRD suggests that the reason they only do one action a round is because of poor reflexes, and since awakening returns all intelligence to a corpse, I assume it would let them move normally.

The spell does precisely what it says and nothing more. If the spell contains a clause that, under strict reading, removes such extraordinary abilities, then that's what it does. If your reasoning for removing that ability is that an Awakened zombie is smarter than an un-Awakened zombie, then that is not what it does.

My reasoning is that a being with intelligence, no matter how rudimentary, has better reflexes than a mindless drone of a zombie.

Thanks for the answer, though. Is there a way to remove the single actions only ability?

@Vinom: That was my backup plan. I'm sure the DM will agree with me, but I preferred having rules to back it up. Thanks anyways.

You could have the zombie (if non-evil and at least INT 3) become a Dragonborn of Bahamut. That template removes all prior racial qualities, even the negative ones. Though since you don't have a CON score, you'll just end up with -2 DEX. But you could get wings out of the deal as well.

That sounds like it would work pretty well. I'm unsure if an awakened zombie would retain the 'natural' NE alignment of zombies, or if it would simply restore the consciousness of the previous owner of the corpse. It could also create a new personality (since the spell rolls a new int score), at which point I would simply say it's TN. I hope it's the third one, don't think the second works, and the first is probably what happens. Does anyone have a definite answer?

Is the zombie special quality (I think there should be a universal word for it. Slow sounds like the spell, and typing out Single Actions Only gets annoying...) a racial quality?

All in all, it's a very medium choice. Most of the benefits don't help with a zombie (undead are already immune to fear, no CON score), though if it DOES remove the SAO quality, it'd be worth it.

I think it should remove the slowness quality. You could flavor it that the zombie, in its previous life, was a knight dedicated to Bahamut. When he is awakened, he remembers his old ways and seeks to once more serve the dragon god.