Notices

Rappan Athuk: 5e or Pathfinder

View Poll Results
Which System?
Pathfinder 1.0 19 47.50%
Dungeons and Dragons 5e 21 52.50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatford View Post
It is actually roughly 300 miles from Zelkor's Ferry to the closest sizeable city
I think...
...Frog God Games might have been inconsistent in their map scales between products, 'cause I remember having to ignore one map's scale in favor of the other. But yeah, I remember the distances being big.
Also, isn't that assuming that they're traveling by foot?
There is the boat.
Quote:
it is called Eastwych and has a population of 26,204 people. Zelkor's Ferry (the starting backwater hamlet) has a population of 20 or so, plus all of you.
Sounds about right.
Quote:
So at best roughly 12-15 days travel in heavily dangerous un-patrolled terrain of Eastreach Province to reach civilization.
Is it more dangerous than the Rappan Athuk wilderness? The sheriffs and patrols have to be traveling the road between the two cities and Rappan Athuk has pretty nasty random encounters along the road that random wilderness encounter tables would and should not have.
When I run it, I'm going to treat anywhere outside of Rappan Athuk as an effective 'safe zone', where random encounters are waived.
"You cross over the bridge, leaving Rappan Athuk behind, and in two weeks, you're in Eastwych. What are you going to buy now? Gonna sell that gold statue you found?"

Just finished reading the Players' Guide. This sounds good enough, I would even be willing to learn how to run Pathfinder just to participate! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOasysMaster View Post
Is it more dangerous than the Rappan Athuk wilderness? The sheriffs and patrols have to be traveling the road between the two cities and Rappan Athuk has pretty nasty random encounters along the road that random wilderness encounter tables would and should not have.
Here is what I can give you from their latest updated information.

The entire area is in the Eastreach Province. Including the city of Eastwych, Zelkor's Ferry, and Rappan Athuk. Of course the Rappan Athuk adventure book covers the wilderness all the way from Zelkor's Ferry to up the Coast Road across the Canyon River.

Wilderness and Adventure in Eastreach Province
Eastreach Province is no longer as productive as it once was under the rule of Foere, and wilderness is beginning to encroach even upon areas once deemed completely safe. The eastern half of Eastreach Province (were we are speaking about) was never particularly safe to begin with, and small communities in the east are actually finding themselves isolated from trade and protection, left to fend for themselves. This is particularly true in the belt of land between the Great Amrin River and the Forest of Hope. In addition to the obvious adventurers’ destination of Rappan Athuk, the whole of eastern Eastreach offers plenty of scope for wandering adventurers to fight monsters, rescue villages, and even for higher-level characters to take a village under their wing as a freehold. New castles are needed, for the old ones lie neglected and crumbling as beasts prowl their walls; bandits are rife, and predatory tax collectors often arrive with armed soldiers to take even more than the bandits would. It is an area that cries for heroes, and finds none to answer the call.

Eastwych
(EAST-wich)
Population 26,204
Eastwych is the naval headquarters of the Kingdom of Foere. The size of the city is largely due to the presence of the massive fleet and its supporting forces. Eastwych’s attention is focused much more upon the Kingdom of Oceanus than on the coasts of the Sinnar Ocean.

That being said, what I do in my real life Rappan Athuk game is to hand wave the travel as "safe" once they get to the Coast Road and then north of the Canyon River. which is about 75 miles from Zelkor's Ferry. I always just call it three days of travel to get to safety.

I also run it in 5e, so I use the award of downtime days, I let a player use 5 downtime days to make a run to the big city for the group to resupply. (That hand waves the trip) and gives them something else to use downtime days on.

Quote:
Here is what I can give you from their latest updated information.
I have and have read the books... Unless FGG has dropped the Campaign Setting book recently and I didn't notice.
:O

Nope, just converted it to 5e, they did update the world map again. it is funny that there are still things missing from it that you find in other supplements and sometimes the locations are a little off.