This week in video games... - Page 755 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

I've been playing Bloodstained the last week or so, and it's been a complete blast. It's pretty much the whole castlevania series distilled into a new IP and done right. If you ever played the later DS Castlevania titles, it'll feel very familiar. And of course it's very much like good 'ol SotN, but it's far more accurate to compare it to Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, and even Aria of Sorrow. It's not a super tough game on normal, although the difficulty curve really ramps up towards the last third of the game.

TLDR - if you love Metroidvanias, you will not be disappointed with Bloodstained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
I've been playing Bloodstained the last week or so, and it's been a complete blast. It's pretty much the whole castlevania series distilled into a new IP and done right. If you ever played the later DS Castlevania titles, it'll feel very familiar. And of course it's very much like good 'ol SotN, but it's far more accurate to compare it to Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, and even Aria of Sorrow. It's not a super tough game on normal, although the difficulty curve really ramps up towards the last third of the game.

TLDR - if you love Metroidvanias, you will not be disappointed with Bloodstained.
But don't buy the Switch version. They outsourced the port and the company did an awful job of it. They are trying to fix it now but It'll need a patch or two before it's ready. If you're patient, wait it out. If not, the other versions are all well constructed. Switch version is only bad because of terrible optimization and coding.

Aside from two progression instances and one awful area, Bloodstained was quite excellently enjoyable. Too easy and pretty much all bosses were a cakewalk except the first two, but I guess that's where my copious grinding habit for the best items comes to play.

Anyone here play Kingdom Come Deliverance?

If so, I'll give you some advice: stay away from A Woman's Lot DLC.

It's got some entertaining and great moments. But the greatest sin of this DLC is not warning you that it's about to start. You start the DLC by talking to someone, though there's no text warning that you're about to embark upon it. I set aside 4-5 hours this afternoon to play KCD, and instead I get warped into a DLC that's 80% walking and talking and 20% stealth missions. Now I'm stuck in a part where I'm in a perma-stealth mission to find rare items across a mountain side. And I HAVE to finish this DLC if I want to get back to the actual main game with my main character. I can't progress in the main game until I finish this awful DLC.

Ye been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actana View Post
Aside from two progression instances and one awful area, Bloodstained was quite excellently enjoyable. Too easy and pretty much all bosses were a cakewalk except the first two, but I guess that's where my copious grinding habit for the best items comes to play.
So far, I've really only struggled with the fights against Zangetsu and had a rough (but not terrible) time in a few of the later areas. But I'm not a big fan of grinding, so eh? But beyond that, I've had a really good time playing Bloodstained.

RE: Switch version - glad I opted not to grab that version after all. I was planning on it, but major road construction prevented me from hitting up the game store, so I burned some PS cred to grab it on that instead. Looks like I'll have to wait to spend that gamestop cred...

A week late, but I bought FFXIV after the new expansion released and I'm having quite a bit of fun with that. Hopefully it won't take me an age to get through all the base content, lol.

I only tried playing FFXIV for the first time about 6 months ago or so and I genuinely enjoyed it. The usual MMO grind was actually not nearly as bad due to the actual storytelling woven in to just about every quest/aspect of the game. The cut scenes especially forced me to sit back and get to know the characters.

I think I played until the end of the 1st main story but stopped before entering into the supposedly long grind between storyline 1.0 and storyline 2.0

Dual levels Warrior and Paladin up to 52 and had all my crafting/harvesting classes at about the same level. There was something so methodic and calming about pre-gathering/crafting all the matts I'd need for the turn in quests and then doing a spam run with full rested XP turning in all the guild quests to watch that XP bar shoot up lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post

My biggest issues with Bloodstained are those two progression instances and how low drop chance some of the cooking items are. Like I spent half an hour trying to get one clam from the one enemy that drops it.
On top of that there is a bug where items will just get stuck on walls when they drop from enemies and you can't pick them up.
Oh I guess another thing I disliked was to 100% I had to spend literally 2 hours to farm gold to finish buying everything.

The game actually has a timer when an item gets stuck on walls, after which it picks it up for you automatically. That said, it really shouldn't happen in the first place, but it's nice that they did a workaround.

I know Switch games aren't very popular here, but has anyone tried Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 yet? I'm a few hours in and it does feel like those old co-op X-men games, and I really really like the dialogue and voice acting. I'm also debating if I should get Kill la Kill: If, which is kind of weird because instead of playing Ryouko Matoi, you are playing Kiryuin Satsuki with Ryouko's story line unlockable later.

I also have Mario Maker 2 but have barely touched it so far.