Quickie race listing for Aelsif - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers


GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.


Quickie race listing for Aelsif

   
I remember I once threw a troll in a swamp at my players specifically to see what would happen. They had no acid spells and only one fire spell with no mundane tools between them.

After being hounded by the troll for several hours since it kept regenerating, even after being tied to a tree, they pinned it down with their tent stakes and took turns beating it into unconsciousness and flaying it as it renegerated while they desperately tried to get a campfire going.

A stab to the heart is significantly more binary and is something that can happen through random chance. If you know the weakness of a troll is fire and acid and you know you have to hunt a troll, you modify your kit. Buy a +1 Flaming Dagger, a scroll of Acid Splash, torches, tinder and flint, etc. Encountering one unexpectedly can force you to adapt. Suddenly the Sorcerer doesn't want to burn his last 2nd level slot because he needs to be the one to cast the finishing burst of flame.

A stab to the heart? That's incredibly binary. It's mundane. Especially since you don't actually say stab. You say destroyed. This means you don't need a stabbing weapon. Blunt weapons can cave in the guy's sternum. A stick of TNT can mutilate organs. Hit 'em with a Sonic spell. Throw 'em off a cliff, drop a boulder on 'em. Hell, certain poisons can cause heart attacks or cause blood vessels to harden and burst. If a bayonet to the chest does it, I image a burst ventricle would work, as well.

There's nothing fantstic or mystical about a destroyed heart, so it doesn't work too well with an explicitly fantastic and mystic race.

There's also nothing mystical about cutting off a head, or lighting something on fire. It's also not any more "binary" to kill something by destroying its heart, in fact it's a lot less so because you need to do a certain amount of damage, not just any hit, and there's a huge space in between where a hit to the heart has happened but it isn't enough to destroy it, so the child has dramatically reduced constitution but is still alive and regenerating. And remember, this is a player race. That in between space matters, as does their weakness not being completely inaccessible to most of the enemies in the game.

Because tell me, if you're level 1 and you're fighting a bear, it's supposed to kill an enemy that only fire can kill... How? Where's the risk in that encounter? Why should the other members of the party even participate, really, since the thing literally can't kill you? Actually, why even HAVE other members of the party? And the GM's now restricted entirely to enemies that can deal fire damage to provide any actual danger. And of course, with a race that most enemies simply can't kill, why would players choose anything else, from a practical sense?

That would be incredibly overpowered. Suddenly, your player character is superman, able to do anything without any real risk other than one very specific weakness and your entire associated party is the Justice League, uselessly trailing behind you pretending to be helpful when really their only purpose is to move kryptonite out of your way, so they can only help you otherwise because you decide to let them and spare their feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
There's also nothing mystical about cutting off a head, or lighting something on fire.
Not true, but let's not go there.

Quote:
Because tell me, if you're level 1 and you're fighting a bear, it's supposed to kill an enemy that only fire can kill... How? Where's the risk in that encounter? Why should the other members of the party even participate, really, since the thing literally can't kill you? Actually, why even HAVE other members of the party? And the GM's now restricted entirely to enemies that can deal fire damage to provide any actual danger. And of course, with a race that most enemies simply can't kill, why would players choose anything else, from a practical sense?

That would be incredibly overpowered. Suddenly, your player character is superman, able to do anything without any real risk other than one very specific weakness and your entire associated party is the Justice League, uselessly trailing behind you pretending to be helpful when really their only purpose is to move kryptonite out of your way, so they can only help you otherwise because you decide to let them and spare their feelings.
Because if any player tells me "the bear can't kill me, so I keep fighting it after I regenerate to consume resources, pain doesn't matter to my character", I'm going to look at him and say "OK, now we need to talk about what both of us are expecting from this game"?

Also, I can see your point. I still find it boring, but it's your game in the end and you should totally do whatever you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
There's also nothing mystical about cutting off a head, or lighting something on fire.
Oh, I'm gonna go there.

My point is that setting someone on fire or decapitating them is a purposeful action that requires specific intent and/or a change in strategy. That's why I brought up the troll-slayer tools.

That's why I brought up so many things that could incidentally destroy a heart. You can't poison someone's head off. A troll slayer must carry fire and/or acid in a sufficient amount. The decapitator must bring something that can sever the head from the spinal cord. If they're a stealthy marksman, they have to start carrying incendiary rounds, molotovs as a back-up, etc. For the latter, they've either gotta bring guns big enough that it defeats the stealth or carrying around a hacksaw.

The heart breaker? A better scope and that's about it.

I think the problem is that it is a player race. I don't believe that functional immortality makes for a good multiplayer game. Regenerators in media tend to be lone wolfs (Wolverine) or use their healing factor to do insane things (Deadpool). In a TTRPG, it's a bit more difficult to do that.

Maybe instead of "immortal with a specific weakness" it should be adjusted to "exceptionally durable with broad weaknesses". Maybe remove the ability to regenerate the entire body. In your game, that kinda no-sells many of the features your whole rule system is built around, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
The heart breaker? A better scope and that's about it.
Exceptional aim, too, if it's at long range.

Quote:
Maybe instead of "immortal with a specific weakness" it should be adjusted to "exceptionally durable with broad weaknesses".
I think this may be in the grey area between those things.

Quote:
Maybe remove the ability to regenerate the entire body.
Yeah, it's a bit misleading. Technically, the heart is the only part required. Any other single part can come back, even the brain, but the heart removed from the body won't grow a whole new body. Maybe I should write down a mass/damage limit in the race ability.

Quote:
In your game, that kinda no-sells many of the features your whole rule system is built around, doesn't it?
Really, it just requires you finish them when they drop. That may take multiple attempts, but if you can reach the body and nobody is trying to stop you, it isn't hard. The mandatory second step can definitely prevent a kill in context, but once their party is wiped you should be able to do it most of the time. Same goes for PCs, basically this just means "you live unless the party is wiped*", making it a pretty solid insurance policy.

*Depends on the dice and mood of the GM. Rare occasions of death outside party wipes may occur, especially if your GM has it in for you. Not all wipes will kill your character, merciful GMs may make enemies not realize to finish you off. Good roleplay may improve these odds. Terms and conditions may apply, void where prohibited, ask your doctor before attempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
So your bears realize that they have to destroy the heart in order to be sure?
No. But if they keep eating, they'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
No. But if they keep eating, they'll get there.
So if Bear J. Bear starts feeding with someone else, which is presumably a 80% chance, the PC gets to live through a TPK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
So if Bear J. Bear starts feeding with someone else, which is presumably a 80% chance, the PC gets to live through a TPK?
If the GM decides to do that, sure.







 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2019-05-25 09:00:08am local time
Myth-Weavers Status