Freeform-Lite Diceless system? - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Freeform-Lite Diceless system?

Freeform-Lite Diceless system?

As I've gotten older, now married with 2 kids, my free time has become limited...so I've gravitated from your usual systems like D&D to more freeform style gaming.

While I really like freeform in its most basic...as collaborative story-telling, I'm wondering if there are any rule-lite diceless systems out there that are built to help guide a freeform style game?

I have a couple of ideas around how a system like that might work, but I wondered if there were any popular or standard ones people here have used.

I believe Amber Diceless system (even used for Lords of Gossamer and Shadows) and Nobilis are the most popular diceless systems. I wouldn't exactly call them Freeform-lite tho...and don't even think there is anything like that. They tend to be a bit involved, as they are quite a bit of thing that need to be learned/understood. I have seen a couple of Nobilis games online...but well, it's rather niche.

Most of my 15+ years pbp "gaming" has been freeform. I recently discovered Bladed in the Dark, which is rather crunchy, but I borrowed their clock idea to add tension, and added an element borrowed from another site. I'm using these rules in my next game:

I plan to have PC "levels" of Low, Mid, and High. After so many events, the PCs can choose to tier up their character or maybe get another boon, like cohorts or artifacts or something. We'll see how it goes but I'm pretty confident.

Good luck, and congratulations on your wonderful family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleokatrah View Post
Most of my 15+ years pbp "gaming" has been freeform. I recently discovered Bladed in the Dark, which is rather crunchy, but I borrowed their clock idea to add tension, and added an element borrowed from another site. I'm using these rules in my next game:

I plan to have PC "levels" of Low, Mid, and High. After so many events, the PCs can choose to tier up their character or maybe get another boon, like cohorts or artifacts or something. We'll see how it goes but I'm pretty confident.

Good luck, and congratulations on your wonderful family![/QUOTE]

The idea of a clock is interesting.

I've toyed with using the concept of FATEs Aspects to provide some mechanism to drive role playing, with some varistion of fate points driving narrative "control".

For freeform I think it is more about helping to guide the narrative direction...so everyone is on the same page.

For that, you really just have to be over explicit. I don;t worry about things like physical positioning unless it is an issue, and I utilize zones for that. I also let my PCs have fair access to the environment and NPCs. My OOC spoilers contain EVERYTHING from current rumors, side quests, npc themes and goals, environment notes, links to previous notable info and game posts. That way (I hope) my players feel confident in whatever character action they choose, and doesn't leave them skirting certain aspects because they're uncertain of things. And of course, we use Discord and ooc actively.

This might be more complicated than sought, and its setting too scifi, but it may be interesting for diceless mechanic inspiration: http://suffadv.wikidot.com/

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. I've looked over the suggestions and I've ruminated on my own ideas around a system, and I've moved a bit from where I was...

Now I've started reading about rules for Improv, which I think it at its essence what freeform is...cooperative storytelling. The exact form of that, if everyone is a peer or if there is a division in roles (GM, PC, etc) is malleable, of course.

I've also started looking at basic story/scene structures...rising action, falling action...all that...perhaps as a way to help drive scene intentions (from the GM to players).