Paladin codes - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Paladin codes

Paladin codes

I have a player who is playing a paladin of Horus and we are having issues coming together with a code for him. I love the codes for the paladins in the pathfinder system and so does my players. So I am throwing this out to the hivemind of you all. Does anyone have anything they think would work as a code or how would you handle this.

@Bethorprime: Why not have him adhere to the 42 negative confessions in the egyptian book of the dead which are the required sins souls are tested against if they are to enter paradise?

here: 42 Negative Confessions (Papyrus of Ani)

I have not committed sin.
I have not committed robbery with violence.
I have not stolen.
I have not slain men and women.
I have not stolen grain.
I have not purloined offerings.
I have not stolen the property of the gods.
I have not uttered lies.
I have not carried away food.
I have not uttered curses.
I have not committed adultery.
I have made none to weep.
I have not eaten the heart [i.e., I have not grieved uselessly, or felt remorse].
I have not attacked any man.
I am not a man of deceit.
I have not stolen cultivated land.
I have not been an eavesdropper.
I have slandered [no man].
I have not been angry without just cause.
I have not debauched the wife of any man.
I have not debauched the wife of [any] man. (repeats the previous affirmation but addressed to a different god).
I have not polluted myself.
I have terrorized none.
I have not transgressed [the Law].
I have not been wroth.
I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.
I have not blasphemed.
I am not a man of violence.
I am not a stirrer up of strife (or a disturber of the peace).
I have not acted (or judged) with undue haste.
I have not pried into matters.
I have not multiplied my words in speaking.
I have wronged none, I have done no evil.
I have not worked witchcraft against the King (or blasphemed against the King).
I have never stopped [the flow of] water.
I have never raised my voice (spoken arrogantly, or in anger).
I have not cursed (or blasphemed) God.
I have not acted with evil rage.
I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the spirits of the dead.
I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.
I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.

Make sure you read those and that they're compatible with your campaign! Your bog-standard D&D party would have quite a problem with those "I've never killed a man" commandments.

Unless you're a follower of that one god whose portfolio would make Hitler proud.

They might interpret that as "never killed a human".

There is probably more than one D&D religion that says "Goblins aren't people, and don't count. Neither do orcs, dwarves, gnomes, elves, kobolds, halflings, etc..."

But come to think of it, the 42 Negative Confessions look very much like something that would fit a Vow of Peace character from BoED. That book has several other things that might help inspire you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Holy Wor View Post
@Bethorprime: Why not have him adhere to the 42 negative confessions in the egyptian book of the dead which are the required sins souls are tested against if they are to enter paradise?

[insert amazing suggestion]
Wow, interesting! Came here for the same old, same old paladin code discussion and got Egyptian theology. Just be respectful of your treatment of it--it was once a real world religion after all--and you can mine that list for some great stuff. Good suggestion, KoHW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
Good suggestion, KoHW.
Before I became an old grumbler dnd player, I used to play paladins A LOT and one of the things I usually did with every character was write a code appropriate for each deity or philosophy so my paladins weren't all carbon copies of each other. One of the best ways to do this is just do a bit a comparative mythology.

I feel like an egyptian-mythos paladin should specialize in firing a longbow from a chariot rather than jousting with a lance, and would probably be born and raised in the elite chariot-warrior caste, but other than that I got nothing. Reading the wiki article on Horus and Set did not give me any pg-13 ideas for your paladin's code of honor except maybe "I dominate my enemies and use cunning not to become dominated."

PG-13 indeed. But if it's not something that could be posted on the Weave, how close to falling is the character in question?

Obviously excluding the details of combat, of course; killing is a messy business.

It does depend on how paladins function in your setting. I've been put in plenty of catch-22s as a paladin, where literally no answer would've kept the GM from declaring that my paladin fell. Didn't kill a goblin because it was a newborn? Fall. Killed a newborn goblin? Fall. Stopped a corrupt guard from doing bad things to a woman who was out after curfew? Fall, because it was "unlawful".

Then again, some GMs simply hate paladins.