Magic bullets - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers


GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.


Magic bullets

   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You can also have muzzleloading rifles as well, as an added option. More accurate than a musket, but with the same issues with load speed compared to a metallic cartridge round.
We already have them.

Quote:
The case is steel, yes.
So, what metal is this? It's jacketed, and not by copper. It does feel awfully soft for steel, but I figured that was their feed failure inducing polymer coating on top of the metal.

EDIT:
Well, a gun shop owner is Everett has been confirmed to be a liar. That's zinc.

Quote:
I should probably clarify slightly... I call it a hobby, but my side business is high precision bullet manufacturing for long distance competition (primarily for the folks that load their own stuff). I love talking ballistics.
Nice. Sure wish I had the time and money for a side business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianmosquito
So, what metal is this? It's jacketed, and not by copper. It does feel awfully soft for steel, but I figured that was their feed failure inducing polymer coating on top of the metal.
That is (considering it's cheap TulAmmo) most likely an aluminum jacket. They...work, but not wonderfully, and if it galls (happens often) in the barrel you have major problems. Even aggressive barrel cleaning solvents can't remove it, and once it oxidizes you might as well toss the barrel out. Aluminum oxide is harder than most tool steels, and a bullet stopping abruptly in the barrel doesn't end well!

You will see, sometimes, bimetal jackets using an electroplated coat of nickel over copper as well. For what you're doing, you could do the aluminum jackets as an option, but really for an expensive magic bullet I'd suggest copper, given it already costs so much in game.

Depending on velocities (black powder still The Thing?), you could always have a harder magic bullet "jacketed" in lead, which would rip away on the first hit on the target and leave just the magic core for the follow up impacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
That is (considering it's cheap TulAmmo) most likely an aluminum jacket. They...work, but not wonderfully, and if it galls (happens often) in the barrel you have major problems. Even aggressive barrel cleaning solvents can't remove it, and once it oxidizes you might as well toss the barrel out. Aluminum oxide is harder than most tool steels, and a bullet stopping abruptly in the barrel doesn't end well!
Turned out to be zinc. Which barely functions as a jacket. Well, you get what you pay for and I was broke. See also: Why I got a G26. Still have it, though I load good ammo now, and since I have a P220 the old G26 is now the "baby gun", what my daughters use when we go out shooting. I also have a .22 rifle for the same reason.

I kinda have a lot of guns. By Washington standards.

Quote:
You will see, sometimes, bimetal jackets using an electroplated coat of nickel over copper as well. For what you're doing, you could do the aluminum jackets as an option, but really for an expensive magic bullet I'd suggest copper, given it already costs so much in game.
Yeah, sticking to that.

Quote:
Depending on velocities (black powder still The Thing?), you could always have a harder magic bullet "jacketed" in lead, which would rip away on the first hit on the target and leave just the magic core for the follow up impacts.
Black powder is the main thing, but as this is a fantasy they do have alchemical powder, which achieves dramatically higher velocity (about 4x) but is super expensive, more so because it needs a full jacket on the bullet to avoid melting the back of the lead, only specially made guns can fire it without exploding, and due to its instability and the extreme heat it produces softening the bullet, it has much shorter than usual range.

So it's a pricy thing, you need a large investment to even use it, and it has disadvantage on attack and a higher critical threshold, but it deals double damage qnd has dramatically better critical damage in a game where DR is commonplace. Also, the recoil is murder.







 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2019-05-25 09:00:08am local time
Myth-Weavers Status