Determining custom spells' level - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Determining custom spells' level

Determining custom spells' level

So I have ideas for custom wizard/sorc spells (though I don't see why divine casters couldn't have them too) and I'm just curious what level you guys think they should be. Not as interested in discussing the actual effects or whether they're useful enough or not as what level they probably should be. Thoughts?

1: Magelight:
Evocation (light)
Duration: 1 hour/level or instantaneous
Target: n/a
Range: personal; see text
Components: v,s,m (something inconsequential)

Effect: you create a small, insubstantial ball of blue-white light that floats above your shoulder by default. On appearance it sheds light as a torch, but as a free action you can diminish it to as much as a candle or as much as 60 ft (w 60 ft shadowy).

As a move action, you can direct it to move in any direction up to 100 ft away + 10 ft/caster level, where it remains stationary until you use a move action to call it back to hovering over your shoulder.

Alternatively, any time before its duration is over, you can expend the spell to create a large area of bright light in a 100-foot radius that covers the area in bright light for 1 minute. This effect dispels any darkness effects of the same level or lower.

At any time, you can as a free action change the color of the light from blue-white to red, purple, green or silver.

-----

Muffle and muffle (mass): same effect all around as Jump, but for Move Silently.

-------

Curious Cognizance:
Divination
Duration: permanent until discharged.
Target: special/personal
Casting time: 10 minutes
Components: v,s,m (something with a meaningful cost)

Effect: You pose a single event or action anywhere in the world that has not yet come to pass. If and when this event or action happens, you're sent an immediate mental ping similar to an alarm spell, upon which the spell expires. You can only have a number of Cognizances active equal to 1/five caster levels.

The action or event must be specific, not vague in any way. Examples: "When anyone enters the tower of Doom" is invalid, while "If Zorbax the Slayer enters the tower of Doom" is valid.

--------

Cloak of Curses:
Necromancy
Target: personal
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting time: 1 standard action
Components: vsm

Effect: You cloak yourself in swirling dark energy that harms those who seek to harm you.

Anyone who attacks you in melee must make a will save or suffer a -1 penalty per 4 caster levels on attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks and saving throws until the start of its next turn, after which the curse is lifted but anyone affected can be cursed again if they attack the caster again during the spell's duration.

The same attacker cannot be affected by more than one curse at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
So I have ideas for custom wizard/sorc spells (though I don't see why divine casters couldn't have them too) and I'm just curious what level you guys think they should be. Not as interested in discussing the actual effects or whether they're useful enough or not as what level they probably should be. Thoughts?

1: Magelight:
Evocation (light)
Duration: 1 hour/level or instantaneous
Target: n/a
Range: personal; see text
Components: v,s,m (something inconsequential)

Effect: you create a small, insubstantial ball of blue-white light that floats above your shoulder by default. On appearance it sheds light as a torch, but as a free action you can diminish it to as much as a candle or as much as 60 ft (w 60 ft shadowy).

As a move action, you can direct it to move in any direction up to 100 ft away + 10 ft/caster level, where it remains stationary until you use a move action to call it back to hovering over your shoulder.

Alternatively, any time before its duration is over, you can expend the spell to create a large area of bright light in a 100-foot radius that covers the area in bright light for 1 minute. This effect dispels any darkness effects of the same level or lower.

At any time, you can as a free action change the color of the light from blue-white to red, purple, green or silver.
Level 1

Quote:
Muffle and muffle (mass): same effect all around as Jump, but for Move Silently.
Level 2

Quote:
Curious Cognizance:
Divination
Duration: permanent until discharged.
Target: special/personal
Casting time: 10 minutes
Components: v,s,m (something with a meaningful cost)

Effect: You pose a single event or action anywhere in the world that has not yet come to pass. If and when this event or action happens, you're sent an immediate mental ping similar to an alarm spell, upon which the spell expires. You can only have a number of Cognizances active equal to 1/five caster levels.

The action or event must be specific, not vague in any way. Examples: "When anyone enters the tower of Doom" is invalid, while "If Zorbax the Slayer enters the tower of Doom" is valid.
Level 3

Quote:
Cloak of Curses:
Necromancy
Target: personal
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting time: 1 standard action
Components: vsm

Effect: You cloak yourself in swirling dark energy that harms those who seek to harm you.

Anyone who attacks you in melee must make a will save or suffer a -1 penalty per 4 caster levels on attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks and saving throws until the start of its next turn, after which the curse is lifted but anyone affected can be cursed again if they attack the caster again during the spell's duration.

The same attacker cannot be affected by more than one curse at the same time.
Level 3

The only one which strikes me as troublesome is the divination as it has hardly any limits. You could use it to know when Orcus picks his nose! Now OK, it's probably foiled by Mind Blank, etc, but still - I'm sure you could come up with creative uses for it which are more on a par with high-level divinations.

The light one is much better than Dancing Lights but at the end of the day it's just light. L1 is fine.

The muffle thing should probably be similar to Jump. Maybe move silently is slightly more useful. Actually doesn't a similar spell already exist? I forget.

The cloak thing, it's only rounds / level, it allows a save, etc. Actually until CL 8 it's going to be a pretty weak effect. I'd probably make the min penalty -2 or something. Otherwise just cast Mirror Image. I guess the interesting thing is that it hits saves too, but anyway it only gets good at the high levels by which time I have better things to use my actions on. Also compare with Hesitate. If it triggers on every attack, that gives it something extra, but I'd still say maybe L2?

The divination struck me as troublesome as well. Would take work to really abuse it though and without a lot of work, it's not exactly powerful. I suspect someone might find a way to pervert it along the lines of the Locate City bomb (well, only in 3.5 or PF, not 5e), but that's more a justification for adding some limits, not for raising the level or outright banning.

I could specify the divination only works on the same plane (fails/"doesn't take hold" if the target is on another plane). I thought about tagging it as a [scrying] spell but that descriptor doesn't really apply.