Must-have wizard spells by level 10? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Must-have wizard spells by level 10?

I would definitely say that the most "must-have" spell for Wizards is probably Dimension Door. I've never had an adventuring day where it wasn't good to cast at some point.

I think these cover the things that the wizard is best/most iconic at covering, and/or are so good (for their level) that you'd be a fool to pass them up.

0th:
Detect Magic
Dancing Lights/Light
1st:
Alarm
Benign Transposition
Comprehend Languages
Feather Fall
Obscuring Mist
Protection from Evil
Silent Image

2nd:
Alter Self
Cloud of Bewilderment
Detect Thoughts
Glitterdust
Invisibility
Rope Trick
See Invisible
Web

3rd:
Alter Fortune
Anticipate Teleport
Arcane Sight
Dispel Magic

4th:
Celerity
Dimensional Anchor
Scrying
Solid Fog

5th:
Teleport
True Seeing
Lesser Planar Binding

Fly falls off most optimized lists because alter self can grant wings to most casters with a longer duration. Fly helps the party.

Most blasting spells in 3.5 are underwhelming and does not make the cut due to limited spell selection. It mostly comes down to the idea that battlefield control is better than doing pure damage. Since your remaining HP doesn't affect your damage output, using spells that debuffs or prevents the enemy from damaging you is better.
I'd rather have my wizard throw Haste on the party as long as 2+ members make use of the extra attack, or Slow on the enemies so the number of incoming attacks are reduced. Or a 2nd level glitterdust so they're all blind and as such have a 50% miss chance to hit you, assuming they even guess correctly what square you're standing in.

Also, damage is one of the few things non-spellcasters have to contribute to a fight. Might as well let them handle that.
You look to spells to solve problems that can't be fixed with damage. Because if you can, why waste resources and not just have the party simply attack it with weapons? But no amount of fancy axe-chopping will allow you to see invisible foes, dispel summoned monsters, stuff like that.

Now, that said, there are for sure some blasting spells that are worth it. Also there are times were it is most certainly the best option. But generally? My experience agrees with conventional wisdom that blasting spells are underwhelming.

Unlike my current 5th edition game where the party throws copious amounts of fireball, but they did overtune that spell on purpose due to it being iconic to the point where it's quite good.

Sometimes even a Fireball is useful, primarily because of its great range (shooting Fireballs from >400ft away whilst flying and invisible is quite an annoying thing to do, especially in a naval battle or similar) but the damage is underwhelming, it can be avoided completely with Evasion, and it's fire damage too. I'd far rather use something like Shatterfloor which damages and creates an additional effect (even if the damage is even lower) or one of the few usually-single-target but higher damage spells (e.g. Dalamar's Lightning Lance if DCS is allowed, or Presper's Moonbow if not).

Nice lists, all. I see a few I think I will have to pick up for my wizard (assuming he lives to see next level).

I agree blasting alone is subpar. I think the best blasts are one that include various debuffs and/or battlefield control, whether by nature of the spell itself or via feats and magic items.

Fireball alone is kinda meh, but combine it with Bracers of the Entangling Blast and, say, Fell Drain, suddenly you've got damaged enemies who are also entangled and level drained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutr View Post
Fly falls off most optimized lists because alter self can grant wings to most casters with a longer duration. Fly helps the party.
Exactly. I meant to clarify this... but forgot.

As to Fly helping the party... yes, but you can rarely cast it enough times to affect everyone, and Alter Self is a whole toolkit of versatility beyond that and it's a level lower. So if I had to choose between them, I'd definitely pick it first.

I'll expand on why I think some of the other ones on my list are awesome if I get a chance. I don't expect to be busy at work tonight. (knock on wood... )

I would say the only advantage of Fly over Alter Self is the Good maneuverability (which AFAIK no Alter Self-able form can grant?...) being able to perform full-round actions while hovering in place can be really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
I would say the only advantage of Fly over Alter Self is the Good maneuverability (which AFAIK no Alter Self-able form can grant?...) being able to perform full-round actions while hovering in place can be really helpful.
Yea Levitate and spider climb get no love, a lot of monsters are missing a ranged attack.