First Characters - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

First Characters

My first RP character ever was... A disaster. I can't remember his name, but he was for a freeform game based on Metroid called Bounty Hunters Wanted.

My first 4e character was a bit more tame, he was Hector Sebastian Loegaire. His family was the head a huge mercenary guild and he'd been framed in the murder of his father. Ah... Good times.

First character I remember was Darius the Fair-Haired. Paladin, Knight of the Purple, Cavalier, and filled with more awesome than any ten optimus primes. He saved the day, the world, and got the girl, but was filled with a melancholic sadness for those he was unable to save along the way, and for the woman/dragon he loved who died to give him that chance.

And since it was Age of Worms, he earned that saving the world, too, they didn't just hand that shit out free at the door.

My first DND tabletop character was a Ranger named Hugh.I can't even tell you which edition we were playing all I know is that he was described to me as a ranger. I was really young at the time so I didn't see much of the character sheet. His career ended shortly due to a bit of bad tracking and me leaving the camp at night.. by myself.. Without telling anyone..

Hugh became spider poo.

My first character was in a D&D 3.5 core-only game starting at level 1. I made a half-elf abjurer. I adored him as a character, but being such a noob to the game system I constructed him rather badly, even for a core-only abjurer. I was thinking more in terms of just the nebulous character ideas I had and less about the crunch of the game that would allow him to do well. He sounded awesome in my head but was pretty miserable on paper. I kind of molded him after Gandalf (I always thought of Gandalf as being sort of Abjuration-focused for some reason). I associated Abjuration with Goodness - protection, banishment of evil things, liberation, etc.

I found out all too quickly that there's really not much a badly-constructed core-only abjurer can do in play, especially at level 1. We made it to level 5 in this sandbox type game the DM was doing, not much thanks to my abjurer who spent most of his time trying not to be killed. To his credit though he did save the party rogue from being killed by another rogue's sneak attack arrow with Protection from Arrows, and one of his last exploits was being instrumental in defeating the evil wizard boss by using Dispel Magic to bring down his Stoneskin and Mirror Image defenses.

But playing him was torture. The RP side was awesome, as he was this wise, level-headed protector of goodness type. And he was useful out of combat with spells like arcane lock and nondetection. But in combat situations until about levels 4 or 5 he was rather useless. Might cast Resist Energy or Protection from Arrows on an ally, then maybe a flaming sphere, then cower under cover occasionally peeking out to do give the enemy bugbites with his light crossbow.

I learned afterward just how much the supplement books count toward making any and every character idea viable in-game. With Spell Compendium, various splat books and setting books, I was able many games later to resurrect my abjurer concept and actually make it kick-ass...

My first was 3.5. A Dwarven rogue.

What a character he was! A tinkerer who made his own fireworks(and usually had no eyebrows as a result), always wore goggles, and fought with a pair of sickles. He ended up marrying the Princess of the Halfling Kingdom, becoming an Avatar of Pelor, and (perhaps most impressively) survived the Labyrinth of Maddness! (House update to 3.5)

More than anything else, I learn to make characters that have several different, even conflicting character aspects to play with. That way, you will never be bored during RP.

Basil Bottletop was my first actual played character. During AD&D olden times, my cousin ran a game and I made Dakar Woodshadow, kagonesti ranger, who never saw the light of day.

But Basil, oh Basil! My 3.5 new player mistake was trying to introduce some comic relief into a large gaming party that had been playing together awhile. Basil was a ranger to begin with, with a habit for the herb. Did I mention I forgot to buy him a melee weapon and our first couple of encounters were very very close up? So I got creative. Then I kept getting creative. Before long, the whole party (and DM) were pleased with the creativity and evolution of Basil. He soon became a wizard/rogue with a familiar that hated him due to the conflicting alignments between them.

No one messes with a gnome who accidentally steals the power of an evil god for his own use, rebukes the god when he orders his allegiance, and then declares himself the protector of dragons. I'll say it again (because I've said it before on MW), a gnome who protects dragons? You betcha ass.

Basil might have had an bloated sense of himself, but the moment we had to make a major in-character decision from an NPC (one who was offering a 'wish' for each champion for their hard work...3 years of real-life gaming in the making...) and replied to the NPC with:

"I must protect
Ancient Gold dragon who died and her soul returned in the form of a pseudodragon and friend to the evil-God defying gnome.
Constance. But more, I must protect all dragons. I need nothing from you, but directions out of this Tower."

8 players at the table just clapped their approval. One (the uber-animal lover) sat stunned. Nobody talked after that for a solid 5 minutes. It was my/Basil's shining moment.

That is why he's my MW's name. Because he's the reason I love gaming.

To turn up to every gaming session. I missed a session and upon my return found that my character had been doing things I wouldn't have done with him so he ended up cursed. That session I returned I died because another character killed me by shoving me out of a window of a castle where I plummeted to my doom. All because I was cursed. Nobody expected that ending to my character but that's how it happened.

My first character was a red-box edition dwarf. No, not a dwarf fighter or a dwarf rogue...a dwarf. In my 9-year old wisdom, I named him Ork. We ran through the Keep on the Borderlands. I think he got to level 3 before we moved on to AD&D. I can remember several scenes though when we encountered a guard patrol.

Guardsman: Halt! Who goes there?
Me: Ork!

This was usually met by crossbows trained at his head.

Artemis Noname was my first real D&D 3.5 character. He was a middle-aged halfling Bard/Rogue who sang for the children of the heroes village (can't remember the name, somewhere in Faerun). I was dating the player who was playing his unofficial sister at the time...so things kind of got strange and tense there, especially being so young in my role playing career. He was fun, though, in the fact that he was a "good" rogue. Kind of like Robin Hood, only less tunics and twice the fancy hats. He was a cheerful fellow, and playing in that game taught me that you don't have to follow stereotypes. In fact, you should avoid them. Just because you're a rogue, you don't have to be sneaky all the time. Just because you're a bard, you don't have to sing in battle or be a colorful buffoon. One thing you DO need at all times is a fancy hat, a big rapier, and an outlandish accent.