Array in an Array? (Mutants and Masterminds 3E) - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Array in an Array? (Mutants and Masterminds 3E)

Array in an Array? (Mutants and Masterminds 3E)

I'm helping a player write up a character for a campaign I'm running.

They want the character to have different powers between the day and night. I figured it would be a simple matter of doing two power sets with the 'alternate effect' modifier on the first power set.

Now however, while we're designing the character's powers, we're looking at making an array of light beams with different effects. Obviously, I can't put an array inside of an array, so how would you do this?

My original thought was to just have an equal number of powers, with every power having the 'limited (only during the night)' or 'limited (only during the day)' flaws, and then having each power have an Alternate Effect for the day or the night. Would that work?

Funnily enough, we were just talking about an array inside an array in a game I'm in. I'm somewhat in two minds about the notion, actually - but rather than deal with that headache, how about a Metamorph effect? I think this would also qualify for the Uncontrollable drawback or something similar (since it happens at set times) which would save you a point at least.

Ultimately, the mechanic is that you pay a small number of points in order to gain some flexibility (but you're not really any more powerful, so it shouldn't be many) - whether that's done through an array, a Metamorph, or even just DM fiat, I'm not sure it really matters so long as it's not a ridiculously large number of points.

Limited I don't think would work so well since technically, you save 1 point per rank. This typically means you'll still be paying a lot more than 1/2, so overall you're be paying a lot more to have the two power set, when Alternative Effect or Metamorph is really what you're trying to create.

Personally if I was building that I would go with a standard Array, albeit a big one, and use Limited (Only during the day) and Limited (Only at night) on everything. It technically means there's going to be some cheaper-than-usual powers on there, but since I would expect to see a lot of stuff being duplicated (basic stuff like Protection, Blast, Flight) I don't particularly see the issue with that.

It would have to be one big dynamic array if you were going to do that - otherwise you wouldn't be able to have your Protection at the same time as your Flight, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
It would have to be one big dynamic array if you were going to do that - otherwise you wouldn't be able to have your Protection at the same time as your Flight, etc.
Well sure, you should never have Protection in an array. I just meant it as an example of the "standard superhero package" that will need a flip from dayside to nightside.

Are some powers mechanically the same at day and night? You mention protection; assuming both are, say, protection 5 ranks, then there's no need to have 2 powers - they're the same thing. Maybe you would need to apply the Variable modifier (flat +1) and a quirk (flat -1) being the variable descriptor is set by the time of day rather than choice.

To be honest, I'd probably just hand-wave that as a DM (though cancelling out a +1 with a -1 gives much the same result) - if there's no actual mechanical benefit to having the descriptors switch over (there is a benefit if you can choose as with Variable Descriptor) then why not? I guess you could use knowledge of this to plan such that you get a preferred descriptor in some way but it feels unlikely, and anyway foes could theoretically do the same.

You could just take it to the GM, present the situation and what you're wanting to do. Most GM's would be fine with it if they see what you're doing and don't think you're doing anything cheesy. (which you're not trying to do)

I'm the GM, I was helping someone who was applying. We ended up doing an array with alternate powers and the limits only during the day and only at night