So no paly warhorse? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

So no paly warhorse?

Oh, that was just the party. If we brought all the followers and hirelings, our army numbered over a thousand. Not all combat types of course, just most of them.

Also don't forget the 4ed paladin, from a fluff perspective, bears almost no resemblance to a 2ed 3ed or 3.5 paladin.

Which I think is a great thing as having a Paladin locked into LG was really a chore. The Paladin's code is now a part of Divine Challenge (must engage or lose the power). The religious aspect is still intact and now offers a choice as to which church to follow. I never understood why the religions of evil gods never had their own (un)holy warriors in 3.x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdkudzu View Post
I never understood why the religions of evil gods never had their own (un)holy warriors in 3.x.
They did. They were just a lot higher level on average.

PrC's usually.

Unless of course you stepped out of the WotC playpen and added in the Holy/Unholy warriors from Green Ronin. Which worked pretty well, though ISTR now that they may have been 3.0 not 3.5

Yeah, I saw all of those, but it always rubbed me wrong that any church that wasn't LG would have to go to a splat book to have a military presence. Further, none of those variants were all that attractive if I remember correctly. Nevertheless, I'm very happy that 4e has made it so easy to have anti-paladins and such (replace all radiant damage with necrotic and you are good to go).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdkudzu View Post
... it always rubbed me wrong that any church that wasn't LG would have to go to a splat book to have a military presence...
Well, technically even the core book suggests paladins of Corellon and other non-lawful (or just Chaotic) dieties.

Technically any god was okay as long as they were either Lawful or Good (or maybe not even that as long as they weren't Evil) but the paladins had to be Lawful Good.

It was wery weird indeed.