Punctuation, Square Brackets and the Phantom Newline - Myth-Weavers

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Punctuation, Square Brackets and the Phantom Newline

Punctuation, Square Brackets and the Phantom Newline

My Browser Information: Google Chrome

tl;dr: If you're near the end of an input box and you have a preexisting square bracket code ahead, and you type a punctuation mark like a comma, your next use of the spacebar creates a new line instead of a space.

I'm someone who likes to format my posts. Extensively. I'm using fieldsets, spoilers, floated images, coloured character speech, the works. So there's a lot of code floating around in each post, and typing it from scratch is a pain. So, I quote my previous post, I delete all the non-formatting elements, and I type a new character post.

This means there's a whole bunch of [/fieldset] and [/COLOR] and whatnot hanging around on the lines I am typing. I have found an error where, if you are typing a sentence, and you are in-line with an existing code like the two above, and you get to the end of the line so the tag drops onto the next line, and you use a piece of punctuation (most commonly for me, a comma), then a space, that space is replaced by a newline character. No matter how many times you press backspace and then space again, it reproduces.

This doesn't occur if you preemptively push the tag to a new line yourself, so you're typing on a clean line. It only happens when nearing the right-hand side of the input box, and only if you use a piece of punctuation.

Any idea what causes this? Is it fixable, or should I just get used to manually removing all these phantom newline characters from my post/preventing them by pushing the formatting code to the next line?

EDIT: An example

Some random text goes in here. Type the text until you get over to the right-hand side of the page.
And whoops, there's a new line. I did not once press "enter" while typing this example message.

If you type the above for yourself, creating the color tags FIRST, you will observe the phenomenon.

EDIT2: The forums didn't always have this bug. I've made my posts this way (or some variation thereof) for years and years, and I have only noticed this in the last 6 months or so, if memory serves.

Okay, good to know I'm at least not crazy! Thanks for the speedy reply as always, Rodrigo.