1-On-1 System Swap - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

1-On-1 System Swap

1-On-1 System Swap

Hi there! I have a proposal for a very small game (or set of games!) and I'm looking for feedback if y'all have any - if you've done it before, what systems you've swapped, dos and don'ts, any advice you've got.

I've played D&D for many years - started with 3.5e and d20Modern, have played PF a bunch, and currently run 5e with my offline groups. I've gotten into some non-d20 systems in my time here on the 'Weave, namely GURPS, Fate, and a little bit of Powered By The Apocalypse (mainly Masks), but haven't run them before.

The PitchHave you been running a system for a while that it seems like not enough people play? Have you been dying to play that game rather than run, but a lack of GMs makes that next to impossible? Are you interested in learning another system in trade to teach another?

Then I propose a System Swap game. Take one premise - the opening to an adventure, a short action scene, an escape sequence, etc - and run the scenario in two systems, with the player and GM swapping places. Games can be as long or as short as we want, and ideally will cover enough for each player to understand how the system works.
I myself would love to learn GURPS. My friend mailed me 5 of the 4e books, including the Basic set, but I haven't ever been comfortable enough with the system to run it before. I can offer D&D or Fate in exchange (I'm better suited to D&D, but I'm fairly competent with Fate to run it).

This is a really cool idea. I am only really comfortable with 5e myself, but if I was looking to learn a new system, reading these little scenarios side by side would really help to get a grasp of it. I hope you get some interest for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigmacc View Post
This is a really cool idea. I am only really comfortable with 5e myself, but if I was looking to learn a new system, reading these little scenarios side by side would really help to get a grasp of it. I hope you get some interest for this!
Are there any scenarios you would want to test in particular? (: