Speed build - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Speed build

Ok, there's a race trait for Sylphs called Following Breeze. When using the run action, gain +5 to your speed.

if DnD 3.5 races are permitted you could be a catfolk. They have 40ft speed naturally, make a barbarian that's 50Ft right off the bat for +1 level adjust, then take the appropriate traits and abilities to gain additional increments of speed.

Ok, so far the plan is mostly Scaled Fist Monk and a few levels of Stormborn Sorcerer. Unless I go with gestalt, in which case one side will be pure Sorcerer. The lightning powers from the bloodline fit the theme perfectly. As far as I can tell, the only way to get dex to damage with unarmed strikes is to put Agile on an Amulet of Mighty Fists. In any event, the only definite feat right now beside any class bonuses is Weapon Finesse.

Take an Elf and use the Long Limbed alternative racial trait for 35'.

Take a level of Reliquarian Occultist. Take the Travel domain and Transmutation for the implement. Your base speed is now 45' at first level, with the option of using the Sudden Speed focus power for a +30' sprint and/or expeditious retreat. This is your connection to the "Speed Force".

Take a level of Bloodrager. If looking to emulate the Flash, go Elemental so you can have Lightning Punches. This knocks your base speed up to 55.

The next five levels are all Monk. Chained or unchained is your choice. All FCB's go to Base speed. At 5th level the monk fast movement kicks in and you are up to 65. At 7th the FCBs add up to another +5 to speed to put you at 70', with both Sudden Speed and Expeditious Retreat in your back pocket if you really need to move.

If you can stay with Monk up to level 8 you go up to 80'.

I'm running a superhero game based in a medieval setting using Pathfinder rules, and I've created solid versions of Reverse-Flash and the Jay Garrick Flashes this way. Both of those guys are specifically Perfect Scholar monks in my system; I've imagined Quicksilver as an Unchained Monk and Jesse Quick as a Windstep Master.

No feats are spent in this build, and it is also equipment agnostic. If you really want to up the speed before the Monk Fast Movement kicks in, get some Boots of Striding and Springing. Long term, the Monk fast movement is a better deal day-to-day, though, since it can increase higher than the simple +10 of the Boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shozurei View Post
Ok, so far the plan is mostly Scaled Fist Monk and a few levels of Stormborn Sorcerer. Unless I go with gestalt, in which case one side will be pure Sorcerer. The lightning powers from the bloodline fit the theme perfectly. As far as I can tell, the only way to get dex to damage with unarmed strikes is to put Agile on an Amulet of Mighty Fists. In any event, the only definite feat right now beside any class bonuses is Weapon Finesse.
I am of the opinion that Reliquarian Occultist may be one of the most powerful one-level-dip available. With the build I mentioned you don't necessarily NEED to put Agile on the weapon; just get it up to +1.

The Transmutation implement has as its base focus power Legacy Weapon, which lets you put any +1 enhancement on an object. This will drain your Physical Enhancement eventually if you use it enough in a day, but you can pick your enhancement each time. So, as long as you have a +1 AoMF, you can have whatever enhancement you want - Bane, Trained (Stealth Martial Flexibility), and, yes, Agile.

One other thought - Relic Hunter Inquisitor achieves the same thing (a domain and the Transmutation implement for a +20' base movement bonus and the ability to use Sudden Speed as a swift action). Occultist has better spell selection, weapons, and armor; Inquisitor will give you a second implement, Monster Lore, more skill points, and Stern Gaze.

Barbarian. Monk. There's a Cleric Travel Domain that gives bonus to speed. Maybe some Optional Race traits. (Though most are adding a bit to races that are usually less than on the base speed.)

This is a possible feat plan using a straight-out Sorcerer/Monk gestalt. I'm using the Stormborn Bloodline and the Scaled Fist archetype.

1: Unarmed Strike (Class feature), Stunning Fist (Class feature), Mobility (Regular feat), Dodge (Monk bonus feat)
2: Dragon Stance (Monk bonus feat)
3: Run
5: Spring Attack
6: Dragon Ferocity (Monk bonus feat)
7: Elemental Fist (regular feat), Wind Stance (Bloodline feat)
9: Deflect Arrows
10: Snatch Arrows (Monk bonus feat)

I don't really see any room for Fleet unless I replace Run with it. I could also take out Deflect Arrows if I want to since I don't need it as a pre-req for Snatch Arrows. Monk bonus feats don't need them.