A Companions Tale

Old Dec 29 '18, 9:04am
The Topheh

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
A Companions Tale

A Companion's Tale - Forum
Miscellaneous

Hi All,

Companions Tale is a game in which four players create the legend of a Hero through the lens of the Archetypal Figures (The Mentor, The Lover, etc) that they encounter during their quest. Players also act as the cartographers, lorekeepers, and gossipmongers of the world with the idea being that over the course of play a world will be created and an epic story told.

IRL, it has a run-time of about 2 hours and, although this will be the first time I'm trying it, I think it should translate very nicely to a PbP format. So if you are looking for a pretty short experience with a fun worldbuilding game, this might be just right for you!

I'm looking for two more players at the moment, but if there's sufficient interest, I might be willing to start multiple games.

See the links below for more information. The first is a link to the kickstarter, the second to an actual play of the game.

Game Description:

The Mentor will tell you that the Hero learned sorcery when they visited the High Hills together, in lands where maps are scarcely drawn.

The Lover will tell you that the Hero actually grew up in the High Hills, and knew by heart the solemn and slow songs of its people.

But listen to me: I was the Hero's Rival, and I knew them best. We stood together in the Southern Shores, blades in hand, as we encountered something truly unexpected...

Companion's Tale is a story and mapmaking game. In it, players take on the roles of Companions and tell the story of the Hero. The Hero is never actually played, but is viewed only through the opinionated lenses of the Companions that the Players control.

Over the course of a prologue, 3 acts and an epilogue, a world will be created and a story will be told... but whose narrative will last? Will all of them?

Companion's Tale is a game that was on Kickstarter a year and a half ago or so and I just got my copy. Upon reading it, I realized it would translate quite nicely to a PbP format, so I want to try it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940008275/companions-talean-epic-game-of-map-making-and-stor

http://oneshotpodcast.com/one-shot/129-companions-tale/

I'd like to give it a try.

I'm not familiar with Companion's Tale but I read a bit about Microscope, the Quiet Year and a few other diceless, gmless story games and thought that they sounded interesting.

I bought and tried Microscope here on the weave (not a bad experience overall!!) and I would really like to try this one out.

EDIT:
is there a way to obtain the rules? Preorder on kickstarter seems to be disabled

Check the forum... I summarized them there, although even my summary is basically the entire ruleset minus examples and modifications for playing with different styles of game (how to use the game to tell a creation myth, for instance)

https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=459484

What sort of setting or even just tone did you and the other player have in mind, Nixis? I listened to about half of the podcast but their game was a bit too silly for me.

They're... often silly. I definitely want something more grounded. Not grimdark by any means, but not goofiness for goofiness' sake either.