Artificers in 5e/PF? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Artificers in 5e/PF?

Artificers in 5e/PF?

Happy new year first of all.

As some of you might know, I love 5e and Pathfinder. And as some of you might know, I'm an avid MtG player, always eager to mix elements of the card game into my roleplaying experience (I've both started games and created characters based on such a premise).

One thing I have noticed, however, is that the concept of "artificer", I.E. a person who can cause inanimate objects to come alive as well as use magic to create all manners of artifacts, is very big in MtG: a number of characters I'm fond of have the ability to reshape and animate metal as their core power, which in gameplay terms equals the ability to interact with Artifact cards.

And so I'm here asking you, the fine people of MW: if you were to try and portray such powers in either 5e or PF, how would you go about it? Any classes/spells in particular you would recommend?

EDIT: yes I'm aware that artifice-centric classes do exist as homebrew/third party materials. However, I would like to have an array of options/ideas in my hands that would ALWAYS work, without having to beg the DM to allow this cool homebrew document I found on the internet. I'd rather try and make the most of the Lego piece everyone has, and use those to build this concept, rather than resorting to beg the DM to let me play with a Lego piece nobody else has.

Check out the 5e Wizard subclass of Artificer:

https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Wizard#Artificer

Beyond that, the wizard transmutation spell Animate Objects is nice to have. But it's a 5th level spell, so you'll be playing for a while before you get that far. Unless you can purchase or find a spell scroll with it.

Pathfinder gives you a wide array to work with for making the inanimate animated. The simplest course is just to take craft construct on a sorcerer with the impossible bloodline (so you can mind affect your mindless minions). Animate object, control object, telekinisis, and (iirc) summon spells all provide some more fun. I think you could also make a decent clockwork master out of summoner with the broodmaster archetype and the evolution for construct type (that is if you don't just make your imaginary summons look all steampunk on the merit of fluff)

Both valid suggestions, thanks a lot

I believe Spheres has something similar, both through Sphere abilities and some of the classes.

There was an Artificer class in 4E, although it might not be the same kind of take on the concept, and converting to/from 4e is considerably more annoying than PF/3.5 or even 5e.

the final fantasy d20/Pathfinder stuff has something like that in the Engineer class, but that's well outside of the 3pp stuff commonly allowed (all those classes are pretty dang powerful compared to Paizo's stuff).

I think Kobold King has the right of it. If you want to stick with Paizo materials, there's going to be a way to approximate most of what you want through archetypes/bloodlines/alternate features, probably a lot of which will tie into constructs and related abilities/effects.

I wonder what you'd be able to do with Animate/Control Object and some siege weaponry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Foiler View Post
I wonder what you'd be able to do with Animate/Control Object and some siege weaponry.
I believe there is an entry for such devices in one of the Beastaries.

Personally, I’d definitely be open to refluffing and slightly revising various spells in 5e to represent animating objects. E.g. Magic Missile makes things jump at targets and do bludgeoning or whatever damage. With some agreement that I’ll choose opponents so that doing more mundane kinds of damage doesn’t often make the spell radically less useful. Find Familiar is a particularly obvious candidate. Alarm is a little figurine that squeaks out a shrill little warning. And so on.

It’s not as good a solution as alternate classes/subclasses, but it’s probably easier to persuade someone that this won’t cause balance issues than that those won’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voord 99 View Post
Personally, I’d definitely be open to refluffing and slightly revising various spells in 5e to represent animating objects. E.g. Magic Missile makes things jump at targets and do bludgeoning or whatever damage. With some agreement that I’ll choose opponents so that doing more mundane kinds of damage doesn’t often make the spell radically less useful. Find Familiar is a particularly obvious candidate. Alarm is a little figurine that squeaks out a shrill little warning. And so on.

It’s not as good a solution as alternate classes/subclasses, but it’s probably easier to persuade someone that this won’t cause balance issues than that those won’t.
That sounds very close to just porting the Spell Thematics feat in from 3.5

Personally if I'm going to convert from 5e, I'd convert the Bard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold King View Post
That sounds very close to just porting the Spell Thematics feat in from 3.5
Not a 3.5 player, but not surprising that this sort of thing was allowed for. I wouldn’t want to impose a feat though, - the character isn’t enjoying any advantage for this. Overall, I’m pretty certain that it would end up being a disadvantage, in fact, even if a few adaptations (e.g. Str saves for Hold Person) turn out to be advantageous in some situations. But from the perspective of selling a GM on it, anything that says “Won’t cause balance problems” is arguably a positive, as long as the player likes the idea of working with the theme.