Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spheres of Power Adventure

Windfell Academy - Forum
Pathfinder

Windfell Academy - Acceptance Letter (1).jpg

Character CreationSystem is Pathfinder, using the Spheres of Power magic system
20 Point buy for Ability Scores
Level 5
Max HP first level, average after (so 2d8 is 9, 4.5 x 2)
PF WBL for level 5
Two traits. Organization traits from the SoP base book are fair game.
Background Skills are in use. You get 2.

ClassesEveryone must be a Spheres of Power class. Champion classes by request.
All categorized traditions (arcane, divine, occult, and psionic) are fair game, though the dragon magic might be tricky. Other traditions by request.
Advanced magic by approval only.
Pregame item crafting and spellcrafting allowed as long as you can hit the DC taking 10. Spells crafted are subject to approval.

RacesAll SoP playtest material is fair game. Non-SoP has to be released and accessible to me.
Any race in the Players Guide to Skybourne is fair game, as well as any 15rp or less race by paizo. Other races by request.

Need enough background to get a feel for your character.
While there may be illusion and innuendo, this isn't a romance simulator. Keep it clean.
If you can't treat your fellow players with respect and consideration OOC, please don't apply.
The game will have social aspects, some mystery, some locks and traps, and of course combat, though the ratios will depend somewhat on the player's choices.

I am looking for 3-4 players, preferably people who would like to learn how to play using the spheres of power magic system.

Game Description:

Windfell Academy is the premier house of secondary magical education in the world. An almost mythic place of learning, Windfell Academy lazily circles the planet atop a floating island, accepting students and doing business with whatever locations it passes on its neverending flight.

Windfell Academy is distinctly different than most schools of magic, principally because of its focus on secondary education. Most locations of magical learning in the world (the temples of the gods, the great wizard towers, or the bardic colleges where the truest histories are kept) are built to educate its students in a particular tradition. These centers of study accept beginning students who cannot already wield magic, and educate them in the formulae of power.

Windfell Academy, in contrast, accepts no beginners. As a place of secondary education, Windfell Academy is only for students who have already completed their beginning studies in a particular tradition, and are looking for a place to hone their skills. Rather than lecturing students in particular formulae, Windfell Academy seeks to create a place where students may direct their own learning, under the guidance of master magic-users who serve as mentors. As such, Windfell Academy accepts members of every magical tradition; arcane, clerical, occult, psionic, and more types of casters can all be found at the academy.

The Headmaster of Windfell Academy is also its founder, the hierophant druid Mardoc. As a hierophant druid, Mardoc had once held the position of Grand Druid over the entire druid order, but retired to live a life of seclusion with nature. While any druid able to achieve the rank of hierophant is a being of great power, Hierophant Mardoc ranks as one of the world’s greatest masters of magic, having not only mastered the highest levels of magic, but having also managed to achieve immortality without the aid of undeath.

Sensing the impending doom that would be brought about by the destruction of the Walkways, Hierophant Mardoc emerged from retirement to personally lead the druids in their opposition to the creator of the Walkways, the Wizard-Emperor Ethain de Vhins III. When it became apparent that stopping the Wizard-Emperor was an impossible task, Hierophant Mardoc turned his attention from stopping the coming calamity to instead surviving it. To this end, he scoured the planet, recruiting the most powerful magic-users he could find to come to his and the world’s aid. These magic users were the prototype for what would eventually become Windfell Academy.

When the Walkways broke and the world-consuming Forest came, the collected magical might of Mardoc’s group was able to lift not only the land around Windfell Academy, but also many other landmasses to float above the Forest’s reach, creating many of the floating islands that now dot the sky. As the world below them fell, Windfell Academy became a bastion of magic where the collected magical knowledge of its members could be preserved through the passing of the old world for the instruction and aid of the new.

Today, 156 years after the breaking of the world, Windfell Academy still flies the skies under the watch of Hierophant Mardoc (now simply referred to as “Headmaster Mardoc”, or “Professor Mardoc”) following a very simple mantra; preserving and passing on magical knowledge and power to all willing to learn it, for the betterment of the world at large.

As a bastion dedicated only to education, Windfell Academy is strictly neutral to all politics, accepting students and hiring teachers from all nations, alignments, and races. While this has lead to a great many internal conflicts in the school’s history, including disappearances and deaths, the school still stands, its doors wide open to all, as one of the greatest institutions of learning in the world.

Attached Images
File Type: png Windfell Academy - Acceptance Letter.png (640.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Mehangel; Jan 14 '19 at 1:15am..
No pure Spheres of Might classes. But I would be okay with an Armorist with the Martial Armorist archetype.

Can we be a regular pathfinder class with a spheres of power archetype or spheres of power specifically only? I know it seems to quite clearly say the latter but I'm hoping for the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPriest View Post
Can we be a regular pathfinder class with a spheres of power archetype or spheres of power specifically only? I know it seems to quite clearly say the latter but I'm hoping for the former.
Which class/archetype in particular are you interested in playing.

Sure, why not. But just a heads up, I lack a copy of Occult Adventures and have little experience with the classes found therein. So, if there end up being RAW/RAI questions regarding those archetypes, I may not be able to answer them immediately.

I have a character already in development I would like to use for this game, although it uses a few—okay, several—things I would need permission for; how do you feel about a Martial Hedgewitch with a custom casting tradition and martial tradition?

The custom casting tradition is called Herbal Magic. It has the Extended Casting, Prepared Casting, and Material Casting drawbacks, as well as the Special Delivery Enhancement drawback and the Medicinal Life drawback. In total it grants +1 spell point, +1 spell point every 1.5 levels, +2 free talents, and the Water of Life talent.

The custom martial tradition is called Alchemical Arbalist. It has a custom discipline (granting proficiency with the heavy crossbow, the launching crossbow, the bayonet, rapiers, and shortswords), grants the Alchemy sphere’s poison package, the Careful Preparations Alchemy talent, and a free Equipment sphere talent that I have spent on Expert Reloading.

In general, I’m trying to base my character around the theme of using alchemy for his magic, infusing hedgewitch concoctions or brewed potions with Life talents to grant additional healing or status recovery, while also being able to shoot/launch poison at enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient Bowtie View Post
I have a character already in development I would like to use for this game, although it uses a few—okay, several—things I would need permission for; how do you feel about a Martial Hedgewitch with a custom casting tradition and martial tradition?

The custom casting tradition is called Herbal Magic. It has the Extended Casting, Prepared Casting, and Material Casting drawbacks, as well as the Special Delivery Enhancement drawback and the Medicinal Life drawback. In total it grants +1 spell point, +1 spell point every 1.5 levels, +2 free talents, and the Water of Life talent.

The custom martial tradition is called Alchemical Arbalist. It has a custom discipline (granting proficiency with the heavy crossbow, the launching crossbow, the bayonet, rapiers, and shortswords), grants the Alchemy sphere’s poison package, the Careful Preparations Alchemy talent, and a free Equipment sphere talent that I have spent on Expert Reloading.

In general, I’m trying to base my character around the theme of using alchemy for his magic, infusing hedgewitch concoctions or brewed potions with Life talents to grant additional healing or status recovery, while also being able to shoot/launch poison at enemies.
I am fine with the Martial Hedgewitch archetype.
I am fine with the custom casting tradition, but I am going to require you to pick a single category for it (arcane, divine, occult, or psionic).
I am fine with the custom martial tradition.

It’s an [edit] arcane tradition. Forgot to note that down. Thanks for the feedback!

Gah, I didn’t mean to say divine. I is good at be proofread.