Testing Rolls - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Testing Rolls

Testing Rolls

I don't know if this would be the place to be testing the rolls system and seeing what the capabilities are for it? Mostly because I'm trying to convert a system over and it uses some algebra and order of operations stuff.

[dice="Multi-Fireball"](2d6+2)*(1d8+30)+30z[/dice]

Guess we can't roll in other forums, beh.

Have you tried the vBCode test page? It's for just such a purpose. If you go to "Site Tools" at the top of the home page you'll see it.

You're not going to find a dice roller built into a site that can handle that many steps without coding it yourself or paying for it. I think there's an Apple App that has a paid version that can do one like that.

Besides, you can do this kind of roll with a quick edit. Just run the 1d8+30 and then edit in a second roll below it for 2d6*X+2X, where X is the result of the first roll. Add the 30 to the 2X manually.

Like so:
Damage:
Dice Roll:
1d8+30
d8 Results: 6 (Total = 36)

And then I edit in:
Total:
Dice Roll:
2d6*36+102
d6 Results: 3, 1 (Total = 246)

And, yes, you can roll in this thread, but those parentheses broke the code.

Yeah, it can handle scalar multiplication, just not multiplying by the result of a roll. The dice roller can do some interesting stuff in used right, like handle the malus/bonus dice in Call of Cthulu.

Oh, it does actually do multiplication! I didn't even know that.

So "1d20*10z" works as expected.

That's kind of cool.

Actually, a combined roller/calculator would probably not be much more difficult than a roller to implement, since order of operations and stuff is not very hard for a computer (it's all nicely defined and logical). However the MW dice-roller doesn't really work that way - "1d6+1d4" won't give you what you expect, for example. It instead treats a roll as XdY with some modifiers, which could include +N or *M or z or whatever, and lets you make several rolls, but it doesn't do any "proper" calculations stuff.

If you want to add the result of multiple dice rolls, use "t" at the end.

Dice Roll: 1d4+1 1d6+2t
d4 Results: 3 (Total = 4)
d6 Results: 1 (Total = 3)
Sum Total: 7