Potions in darts? - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Potions in darts?

Potions in darts?

Hi,
So I'm still relatively new to playing pathfinder and would like to know if any has ran a campaign with a character or played a character that trying to build.
Ok, so my character is a 2' tall Grippli with a grizzly bear companion. My GM allowed me to take herbalism instead of wild shape because I wanted to ease into a spell caster while still having an animal companion.
I wanted to have a mounted blow dart build with poisons and was wondering if potions that target a creature can be used in featherweight darts as the dart itself does no damage.
What are your thoughts oh gracious humans of the internet?

=^.^=

Shifting to Gaming Discussion for proper attention.

A potion is a magic liquid that produces its effect when imbibed:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/potions/

Therefore, potions do not work through wounding like contact or injury poisons can.

imbibed can mean drink or absorb. Not looking for the rules, looking for anyone who may have had the same idea and how they played there character. But thank you for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodyKat View Post
Not looking for the rules, looking for anyone who may have had the same idea and how they played there character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodyKat View Post
I wanted to have a mounted blow dart build with poisons and was wondering if potions that target a creature can be used in featherweight darts as the dart itself does no damage.
Your original post was clearly a question about rules, though. The rule answer is no; the page @highpack linked to specifically states this about potions: "A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil" neither of which a dart dipped in a potion will accomplish. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that a potion (an ounce of liquid) needs to be fully consumed for it to take effect. A dart like the ones you describe ("featherweight") can't carry that.

For a ruling, which can differ from the rule, you need to turn to your GM. It's a fun idea.

I think the concept is banking on the wording of the Featherweight Dart, which reads like it can inject any poison, and since some poisons are ingested, then it's easy to slip in an imbibed potion.

But then there's the entry for the Dart of Recovery, which is a magical featherweight dart. This one mentions "applied poison", which now discounts potions. Potions are not applied like oils are.

The most accepted potion-delivery weapon is the Syringe Spear. This is an actual spear. It's a big weapon and it takes a minute to load it with the necessary liquid. Given this weapon, I'm finding it difficult to accept the Featherweight Dart being capable of delivering a potion that is meant to be imbibed in vial doses.

But that's just me. The RAW here is pretty vague.

I totally get where your coming from with the sizing discrepancies. I was really hoping for a blow dart build, but the spear seems to be what others are saying they have done, from what I've read. Thank you

I don’t know if you are tied to potions specifically, but there is another way to get that done. Spell storing (+1) can be applied to a pack of 50 darts and hold up to 3rd level spells. Then you or anyone else can cast spells into the darts and you get the higher save DC and caster level without a markup. It might even wind up being cheaper even at the cost of a +2 weapon.

FWWIW:
There is also the Vaporous Potion feat so that one can make potions to throw at people/squares which are *inhaled* (a delivery method that defies the "potions must be imbibed thing from above" [yes, I know specific beats general. I mention it because of what follows])

If you look back at PFs evil step-sister 3.5, Complete Arcane presented a bunch of ideas for not-potion potions and not-scroll scrolls, like magic fruit and spell tiles. If the DM is willing to work with you, there is no reason why a feat could not be worked up to function in a similar way as Vaporous Potion to make Potion Darts.

Potions injected via featherweight darts? Sounds like a great fluff idea to talk to your GM about. I know what RAW says, but the golden rule (besides having fun) is to take whatever rules don't work and either change them to your liking or toss them out entirely.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't do this other than sticking strictly to RAW. Why can't you toss a dart laced with healing potion across the room into your buddy to help him out? Or try nailing the bad guy with some cursed potion? Pffft. Fluff it!