Potions in darts? - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Potions in darts?

Potions in darts?

Hi,
So I'm still relatively new to playing pathfinder and would like to know if any has ran a campaign with a character or played a character that trying to build.
Ok, so my character is a 2' tall Grippli with a grizzly bear companion. My GM allowed me to take herbalism instead of wild shape because I wanted to ease into a spell caster while still having an animal companion.
I wanted to have a mounted blow dart build with poisons and was wondering if potions that target a creature can be used in featherweight darts as the dart itself does no damage.
What are your thoughts oh gracious humans of the internet?

=^.^=

I think the general consensus would be that a single dart doesn't carry a big enough "dose" of a potion to give you the proper effect. Usually, you have to down most or all of an entire bottle/vial of a potion for it to work, so filtering a thimble's worth into a tiny dart would probably give the target a little tingle, but not actually do anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nightforme View Post
I think the general consensus would be that a single dart doesn't carry a big enough "dose" of a potion to give you the proper effect. Usually, you have to down most or all of an entire bottle/vial of a potion for it to work, so filtering a thimble's worth into a tiny dart would probably give the target a little tingle, but not actually do anything special.
Going by that logic I could and should start using a ballista of healing.

I'd have to agree that potions are too voluminous for a dart - and potions are all ingested, whereas poisons enter the body through an injury and go into the bloodstream (or whatever you have if you don't have blood but are somehow not also immune to common poisons).

It occurs to me that an Alchemist or an Investigar/Rogue with the Alchemy feature might be able to pull something like that off with their extracts. With the Infusion and Touch Infusion discoveries, they can use an extract on an unwilling target as an attack - basically jamming a syringe into an opponent. Unless the extract loses its power when it leaves the Alchemist's hand (which it might, I've never tried to build this out), they might just be able to throw them like darts with some feat investment.

Of course most Alchemist extracts are buffs, but hitting a big beefy enemy with Skinsend is both strategically sound and probably really unpleasant to be on the receiving end of. Lipstitch as well could benefit.