Besm d20 - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Besm d20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
I'd argue that OVA 2e is simpler and covers the same ground, actually. (And technically, Barbarians of Lemuria is also point-buy, but it's simpler than either one).
I stand corrected, and not really all that surprised (I did say might after all). Can't say I'm actually familiar with either system, though I have at least heard of Barbarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
Honestly, I did not find OVA to be simpler. In fact, I had a harder time wrapping my head around OVA than BESM. It's 'simpler' in the fact that it's smaller numbers (especially compared to BESM 3e), but the mechanics, both in play and chargen, felt so weird to me that I now cannot play it. It's like there's something missing that I wasn't getting (although I cannot remember for the life of me what that was).

So, mileage may vary on that regard.

Barbarians, however, I did find very simplistic to grok (except for magic, but I didn't dive into it that much).
Well, you could certainly argue from experience. But OVA still got less rules, and my experience was the exact opposite, so let's call it a tie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
I stand corrected, and not really all that surprised (I did say might after all). Can't say I'm actually familiar with either system, though I have at least heard of Barbarians.
Well, Barbarians of Lemuria is one of those systems that are lots of fun at the table, and you can explain chargen and the core mechanics in 5 sentences or less. It's also widely considered the best game for S&S.
I might even try to write the 5-sentence explanation later!

only good part of BESM d20 is using mecha expansion for making any vehicle for d20 modern/future/past/apocalypse......you get the gist. Besm d20 itself has too many flaws that were not tested out when converted from besm to d20 and it is easy to make broken characters. Besm d20 is also good for inspirational material there is two version of BESM D20 one based on 3.0 edition and a second one for 3.5. 3.5 one has a little bit better handling but it still has its issues on balance nonetheless.

A point buy system working well with d20 is Mutants and Masterminds and it would be good replacement for what BESM does for d20.

Drivethru has BESM 3rd edition (not d20) as a PoD as well and its quality is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
Honestly, I did not find OVA to be simpler. In fact, I had a harder time wrapping my head around OVA than BESM. It's 'simpler' in the fact that it's smaller numbers (especially compared to BESM 3e), but the mechanics, both in play and chargen, felt so weird to me that I now cannot play it. It's like there's something missing that I wasn't getting (although I cannot remember for the life of me what that was).

So, mileage may vary on that regard.

Barbarians, however, I did find very simplistic to grok (except for magic, but I didn't dive into it that much).
I'd be curious to dig into what you felt was missing more, just to compare notes. I found OVA very flat on the page but I ended up running it - actually converting a 2nd Edition (Revised) BESM campaign mid stream - at player request and something about using it in play just clicked in a way the book didn't.

Regarding BESM d20 - I played a very short campaign in the long-long ago and I found it uneven? It lacked the flexibility of BESM (I think it was contemporaneous to 2E/revised) due to the d20 framework and some of the changes broke the math of d20 system in half. Attack and defense being skills isn't in isolation a bad idea but when paired with the traditional 3rd edition/d20 framework things got a bit ludicrous rather quickly - there was never a reason not to dump points into 'em when you got 'em and failing to do so was an easy way to end up on the short end of a whole lotta bad pretty quickly . . .