Flashswords - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Flashswords

Flashswords

Sunday, I concluded a campaign session in Aelsif with my real life players. It went well, and while the session was pretty combat-heavy and not a lot of roleplaying happened, everybody had fun and I'm pleased with how far the combat system has progressed. However, following a fight with an adversary stalker, a question game up that turned into a brief (we're talking less than a minute) argument. "Why do you even prepare flashsword?". (Technically, the word is "attune", but whatever.) It didn't go anywhere in the session, and it's been a couple days now, but I am a bit curious what people think of that kind of spell, since it was divisive at my table.

Flashsword is a spell that lets you quickly attack with a grand illusion of a melee weapon (decided on spell preparation) that deals a large amount of a particular element (also decided on spell preparation) on top of its physical damage, in this case a rapier that delivered an electric shock upon stabbing the target.

The pro-flashsword player argued:
1. It does more damage than a regular melee attack.
2. That makes it better at interrupting opponents, even if their resistances are high enough it doesn't do good damage.
3. It is really cheap to cast.

The anti-flashsword player argued:
1. It still costs spell resources, even if it doesn't cost much.
2. You could just give your caster a weapon if you want a weapon.
3. It deals split damage, so enemy resistances get to hit it twice.

I'm passing this question off to the community.

Why would you want to prepare a spell that generates a weapon attack? My biggest reasons would be...
  • Pizazz. It's just freakin' cool to have a sword come outta nowhere.
  • Lack of a weapon. Stuck in a prison cell, the guard is standing just past the bars, taunting you. Boom! Flashsword to his gut!
  • Versatility. Even if I'm packing a weapon, I'd still prepare a spell like this if I had resources to spare, especially if I'm combat-oriented. You'll just never know when you might be separated from your weapon, or if you need a particular weapon/damage type that your physical weapon can't provide.

1. Does it make it more or less cool that it can be any melee weapon or polearm?

2. A good prison would have countermeasures. Like sapper cuffs to drain your SP.

3. "I use a warhammer with a fire infusion and cast lightning, concussive and dark, but I can turn my catalyst into an ice sabre.". Yeah, that's just a good option. I like that thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
1. Does it make it more or less cool that it can be any melee weapon or polearm?

2. A good prison would have countermeasures. Like sapper cuffs to drain your SP.

3. "I use a warhammer with a fire infusion and cast lightning, concussive and dark, but I can turn my catalyst into an ice sabre.". Yeah, that's just a good option. I like that thinking.
  1. Cooler, of course!
  2. Not every prison is a good prison. In any case, if I'm in a situation where my spellcasting resources are drained, then pretty much all of my spells are out, not just this one.
  3. Yeah, one-trick ponies are so out of fashion. Versatility is so in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
  1. Cooler, of course!
  2. Not every prison is a good prison. In any case, if I'm in a situation where my spellcasting resources are drained, then pretty much all of my spells are out, not just this one.
  3. Yeah, one-trick ponies are so out of fashion. Versatility is so in!
1. Good to hear fire halberds are in.

2. Of course, then it doesn't matter what you attune. Good answer.

3. Especially in a game where resistances are so prevalent. Keeping access to as many of the 10 damage types (slash, pierce, puncture, bludgeon, heat, cold, electric, concussive, corrosive and dark) as possible is a very good idea.