This week in video games... - Page 726 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
If you must have every 40k game you have my condolences. Games Workshop has no standards with who they give the license to. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying 40k games are crap, I'm just saying GW doesn't seem to care if they are or not.
Ever since the fall of Relic/THQ they've had a much more scattershot approach to licensing their stuff, yes. Some of it has been tolerable but nothing has reached the level that THQ routinely did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
Ever since the fall of Relic/THQ they've had a much more scattershot approach to licensing their stuff, yes. Some of it has been tolerable but nothing has reached the level that THQ routinely did.
Actually, last I heard they have an opened license. It's something like 'we get x% of the take but do whatever you want.' It's the opposite of what Nintendo usually does with it's IPs. They'll license something out sometimes (Ubisoft recently, for example) but only when they know something great will come of it. When it comes to 40k, it's... actually open. I could go make a 40K game right now.

I think the idea is that the good games will get hype and draw attention to other 40k products while the bad games will largely just be forgotten. I can't say they're wrong. We may complain about a bad game for a brief bit but then we just move on. Heck... Skyward Sword... (Roast inc).

Beehives tend to be buggy as well. *laments*

Alternative opinion on Games Workshop's free licensing:
https://youtu.be/BtY3Lto_lR4

In short, it actually makes a lot of sense for them as a business.

But you absolutely should not try to own every Games Workshop game. Because a lot will be trash, and forgotten quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckerby View Post
Alternative opinion on Games Workshop's free licensing:
https://youtu.be/BtY3Lto_lR4

In short, it actually makes a lot of sense for them as a business.

But you absolutely should not try to own every Games Workshop game. Because a lot will be trash, and forgotten quickly.
Oh I agree that it makes sense from a business sense. I'm just lamenting the loss of high quality 40K games. Relic was a stamp of quality, now it's very hit or miss

I wouldn't say we lost quality. There were only a few really good Warhammer and 40k games back then. Now we probably actually have more good ones. We just also have a shotgun blast of not-so-good games too.

The only true downslide since has been Dawn of War 3 being a disappointment. Other than that? We're net positive.