That's All She Wrote for Syria? - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

That's All She Wrote for Syria?

This shelling isn't an isolated incident from Syria: two people were killed in Turkey in a cross-border shooting back in April, and a Turkish fighter was shot down in June. Three strikes and you're out?

As for Israel... not exist in 10 years? Then neither will much of the middle east. People seem to forget that Israel already has nuclear weapons.

[QUOTE=Muggie2;6153574]Turkey has the potential to smash Syria. Turkey also has a long-running disagreement between the military and the civilian government, and the religious interference on the side isn't helping. But it's relatively civil, as far as things go, and Turkey seems to be dealing with it quite well internally. It does limit their ability to project force, since they will only get sufficient political and social unity to act outside its borders in a significant way if you get the civilian government, the military and the religious jobs all lined up on the same side.
Turkey also knows the hornet's nest that is Syria, and is unlikely to want to get involved there. Perhaps a quick (and effective) smack to tell them not to do it again, perhaps intel gathering to find out who did it then a selectively targeted andslightly more brutal lesson in what *not* to do to the the 10-ton gorilla next door. They get a degree of international kudos for *not* over-reacting to the Syrian action.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth. Turkey has shown incredibly restraint in dealing with Syria.

Read an article today, artillery exchanges still going on after 6 days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/wo...rkey.html?_r=1

articleSyria escalated tensions with Turkey on Monday, accusing its neighbor and former friend of imperialist delusions reminiscent of Ottoman dynastic rule, as Syrian Army gunners exchanged artillery blasts with their Turkish counterparts across the border for the sixth consecutive day.

And here is a taste of what Syria does to it's own cities (not Turkey). I can't fathom that kind of destruction.

I think things get worse before they get better.

Oh, hey, that's why I was glad I never got deployed to a big city.

Rather reminds me of some of the scenes of Europe post-WWII. Somehow, I'm just not seeing this coming up with the same happy ending.

It's really hard to do anything precise with artillery, especially the old Soviet pieces the Syrians are using. And a 130mm shell packed full of HE, well as a comparison, we use a 155mm round that has a "too dang close" radius of 100m and a "You're probably going to die" radius of 50m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
It's really hard to do anything precise with artillery, especially the old Soviet pieces the Syrians are using. And a 130mm shell packed full of HE, well as a comparison, we use a 155mm round that has a "too dang close" radius of 100m and a "You're probably going to die" radius of 50m.
Unless you are in a dugout, in which case you will survive a lot closer. I mean, hell, the number of people that survive artillery barrages is unbelievable, when you see just what one shell can do to targets in the open. But protected from the blast (mostly the fragments and the concussion wave), and people pop up like cockroaches!
What's the current weight of HE filler in a 155mm these days?

Right, there are certainly ways to survive an artillery barrage, I was merely giving an idea of damage radius so it could be thought about when dropped in a city. According to Wikipedia:

Composition B: 6.985 kg plus 0.136 kg TNT supplemental charge.
TNT: 6.62 kg plus 0.136 kg TNT supplemental charge.

I was never an artilleryman, I was just attached to an artillery unit. I can tell you they weigh about 100 pounds and I've schlepped them around like everybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Countdown to NATO intervention...
The big guy in charge says they already have war plans drawn up and ready to implement should the need arise, but he does not relish the thought of having to use them.