critique spell - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

critique spell

This spell was inspired by those Ghoul Lord guys in Diablo 2. Tell me what you think, especially what level you think it should be.

Grim led the group through the tunnels of mist. Close behind he could hear the iron-shod boots of the hobgoblins, and they were gaining. The exit wasn't far ahead, but they would never make it, and the 10 foot width of the rough-hewn tunnel meant that he would be unable to hold off the hobgoblins long enough for his group to escape, for they would just surround him and bring him down.

"We're done for," he panted to Khadufel, the mysterious ebon-skinned wizard at his side.

"Not yet, Grim, came the reply. "I still have one trick up my sleave." With a wave of his arm, the path behind them burst into a thick carpet of flame. "Let's see them get through that," grinned the mage. Grim felt a smile come to his own face as the hobgoblins came into sight but stopped short at the sight of the flaming ground. They just might make it yet.

Carpet of Flame

Conjuration (Fire)
Level: wiz/sorc 4
Components: V,S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. per 2/levels)
Area: 5' per 2/levels (see text)
Duration:1 round per level
Saving throw: Ref partial (see text)
Spell resistance: yes

This spell calls into being a carpet of fire that covers an area of the ground and burns to a height of 8 inches. Anyone standing or moving through the the area is allowed a reflex save for half damage per round. The spell does 1d4 points fire damage per level of the caster. The caster can choose which areas of the ground to cover, in any pattern, as long as all 5' squares chosen are adjacent to another square which is on fire because of this spell. The material compenent of this spell is a pinch of tar and sulphur.

Does the fire spread? - and is it affected with things like wind, etc. Becuase if it is, the level of the spell could be downgraded. And does the fire affect the caster - is a 'real fire' - does it really burn?

Just some quick brainstormin' of the top of me ol' head ;)

Does the fire spread? - and is it affected with things like wind, etc. Becuase if it is, the level of the spell could be downgraded. And does the fire affect the caster - is a 'real fire' - does it really burn?

Just some quick brainstormin' of the top of me ol' head ;)

Diablo II is awesome! You should convert a lot of those spells into the Farland Campaign...especially cool ones like Nova, Hydra, and Frozen Orb.

The spell looks great to me! :D

Diablo II is awesome! You should convert a lot of those spells into the Farland Campaign...especially cool ones like Nova, Hydra, and Frozen Orb.

The spell looks great to me! :D

i would make it 1 round per 2 caster levels, or i would limit it to a maximum ammount of rounds. also, the damage should also be limited. the spell, logistically, has too many options for it to also be a powerfull damage spell. i would also say in the description that the fire ignites flamable materials.

i also think that the level of the spell should be 5. its just too much to be able to deal damage to a creature WHILE moving. most spells force the spellcaster to remain still for a reason. i can see to many problems with a maddened wizard running through a town with this spell, lighting the entire thing ablaze, and at such a low level. there also would be a definite problem with this spell and the permanancy spell, maybe you could add in the description that this cannot be the subject of a permanancy effect?

one way to make the spell more for what it is intended would be to say that the duration is a maximum of 1 round per/1 or 2 levels as long as concentration is maintained, allowing the caster to run/climb but not allowing him to use it as a barrier while casting other spells or attacking with ranged weapons. there also might be a problem with the spellcaster using it to run around and set up a barrior that the beasts cannot cross, whilst his teamates pummel the poor saps with arrows. one way to combat this is to say that the length of the carpet would have a maximum length of something/casterlevel. i don't know if thats what you intended by the area, but that part is confusing.

other than that, it is a wonderful spell idea. :)

with a few rivisions to hamper the strength and

i would make it 1 round per 2 caster levels, or i would limit it to a maximum ammount of rounds. also, the damage should also be limited. the spell, logistically, has too many options for it to also be a powerfull damage spell. i would also say in the description that the fire ignites flamable materials.

i also think that the level of the spell should be 5. its just too much to be able to deal damage to a creature WHILE moving. most spells force the spellcaster to remain still for a reason. i can see to many problems with a maddened wizard running through a town with this spell, lighting the entire thing ablaze, and at such a low level. there also would be a definite problem with this spell and the permanancy spell, maybe you could add in the description that this cannot be the subject of a permanancy effect?

one way to make the spell more for what it is intended would be to say that the duration is a maximum of 1 round per/1 or 2 levels as long as concentration is maintained, allowing the caster to run/climb but not allowing him to use it as a barrier while casting other spells or attacking with ranged weapons. there also might be a problem with the spellcaster using it to run around and set up a barrior that the beasts cannot cross, whilst his teamates pummel the poor saps with arrows. one way to combat this is to say that the length of the carpet would have a maximum length of something/casterlevel. i don't know if thats what you intended by the area, but that part is confusing.

other than that, it is a wonderful spell idea. :)

with a few rivisions to hamper the strength and

Notting to new, I think it would be better if the caster can actually move the "carpet" while taking a full-round concentrating in the new area. But I prefer Flaming Sphere...
Keep thinking in new spells.